Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eric, How difficult is it to replace the pinion oil seal on rear diff of a D/A with the G80? I cleaned out the vent on top of the diff with a wire and made sure that the vent tube wasn't blocked, boy was I hoping that the vent was the problem, cleaned everything up and went for a drive. Got back and gear lube sitll leaking
. What would a dealer charge, ballpark, to replace it if you think it's too difficult for the normal individual?

Thanks

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Hound, The seal is fairly easy to replace, I would estimate around $100.00 to do the job. As far as replacement goes, remove the driveshaft and gather up a 1 1/2 socket. That is the size of the pinion nut. Take a pin punch and mark the nut and the pinion shaft with marks so that you may line up the marks when done to get proper pinion bearing preload. Remove the nut, then a few swift taps on the backside of the yoke should remove it, if not, you will need a bolt style puller to remove. Just pop out the old seal and put in a new seal.. Just make sure it goes in straight and does not get deformed when installing. Look carefully at the yoke in the seal surface and make sure its not grooved, if so, a light touch up with emery clotch should take care of it. If its too deep, it will require replacement. Reinstall the driveshaft and make sure the oil is full, thats it!

Eric

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the insight on what it takes to get it done
. It certainly is nice to have someone "in the know" to answer all of our silly questions.

60,000 miles and the thing decided to just stop doing it's job. Not a real big deal tho as your directions make changing it sound pretty simple.

Thanks again Eric!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Eric, Got the pinion seal done and all is working as it did when new. I did need the bolt on gear puller as beating on the yoke didn't budge it. The only mistake I had was I bought a 6pt 1 1/2" socket and the thing requires a 12pt. Everything went just as you said and it really wasn't bad at all to do. Thanks very much!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts