Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has happened to me two times so far and I will do the best I can to explain it.

I was coming down a hill to a stop sign and I just rolled through it and turned right onto the next road and just eased into it to accelerate when the truck made a lot of pinging and rattling noise like a gasser with spark knock due to timing being off. It lost power and surged a few times; boost dropped and then it was fine. This is the second time this has happened in the exact same spot of road. I am thinking it the Edge because it is brutally cold here in NY with highs around 10 F with wind chill below 0 F and lows below zero at night. I am running the Edge on 1 with smoke on 1.

Another thing I noticed is that if I put the Edge back to 0 (stock setting) the motor is louder with more rattle. But if I put it on 1,2, or 3 it smooths it back out and sounds better. I always run it on 1 in the winter and 2 in summer; rarely on 3 in summer, with smoke on 2 or 3 in summer 1 winter.

Reason I think it might be the Edge is because they don't like the cold, I have heard and the Edge curves the timing which is what I think is going screwy by the sounds of it. And no there are no codes thrown. Any suggestions.

On a note I don't have a code scanner or tech 2 so I cant check balance rates or check for soft codes. I lost my code scanner when I sold my Predator and haven't bought one because I was waiting until I absolutely had to. Guess I am being a tight wad.

·
Registered
127 Posts
sounds like injector are going bad

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Where in NY are you? I kind of doubt it is the injectors, there havent been many injector problems with the LLYs but who knows. I assume the truck is up to operating temps when this is happening?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am like an hour south of Syracuse. About 15 minutes from Norwich. And yes the truck is up to temp. I just got that pinging rattling noise. More of like a rattling diesel noise.

·
Registered
329 Posts
bmr7c;1576308; said:
I am like an hour south of Syracuse. About 15 minutes from Norwich. And yes the truck is up to temp. I just got that pinging rattling noise. More of like a rattling diesel noise.
I get the same thing after the truck is warm - I noticed it 2 summers ago (truck was purchased in Jan 05) - Edge EZ reduces noise. I mostly notice the noise on light accelleration. I can back off the throttle and it disappears. No loss of power or mpg though as far as I can tell. Sounds like a gas engine pinging at times when running low octane fuel .... I increased the amount of Stanadyne Power Service I use and the noise has quieted down some. Dealer Service said it was normal .... whatever - I have changed my fuel filter twice (every 9K miles) - no change.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't had any problems until now. I kinda believe it is due to the cold weather; and from what I hear the Edge J/A doesn't like the cold weather. I have it mounted on the side of the fuse box and it get's chilly there sometimes. Monitor temps sometimes get down around 20 F when it's below 0 out. I am looking at getting a winter cover so maybe that will help. For now I am running my Edge on level 0 to be safe.......well hopefully safe, until we break this cold spell in NY. Looks like it wont be for another 10 days or more.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts