Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forum and new to diesels. Loved my '03 DMax 3500 4X4 until it developed pinging (like a gasser on low octane) under load at about 1800-2000 RPM with the camper on. It stopped pinging as I accelerated. First dealer tech put the code buster on and said it all checks out ok but agreed it pinged when "lugging". Said its the fuel these days and said don't worry. It started at 8000-9000 miles and I now have 10000. Several different tanks of diesel from different stations and Stanadyne don't make a difference.

So I took to another dealer for a 2d opinion and sure enough the tech says bad injectors (2) and tells me about the service bulletin and GMs policy of replacing all 8. So I get new injectors next week. Anyone experience these symptoms and have it diagnosed as injectors? I dont have fuel in the crankcase issue or any smoking

·
Registered
616 Posts
Gandalf12, I had the same EXACT symptoms and same EXACT diagnosis...two injectors. However, the two injectors were replaced before this new 8 injector replacement policy.
I think I have the same symptoms again now...going to take it in on Monday to have balance rates checked to see if they can isolate any bad injectors. Good luck to you, hope it fixes your problem. I am hoping for the same. BTW, mine is an 03 as well with about 10k miles

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Let us know how you guys make out. I have the same sound, but my injectors are within range except 1 is close with a +3.5 to +3.8 reading. Definetely gets louder with load or lugging it out.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I have the same noise but only when I slap the peddle hard from a stop. Then again I drive around on level 5 all the time.

I have noticed this alot when the truck is cold and I have the juice turned all the way up, its a timing thing.

You guys have brand new trucks.....hardly broke in.....I say drive'em til they puke......my truck makes a new noise or smell every week...they all go away, probably related to changes in fuel.....its a real crap shoot.

I have adopted the don't worry be happy mentality. Do the reg maintenance and drive on!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
403 Turbo, Since I am new to diesels, and fussy about breaking down on the Alaska Highway 75 miles from the nearest tow truck(we are heading up again in July), and with a very paranoid wife, and a nervous dog, I thought the dealers suggestion of 8 new injectors sounded good. I also read various threads about the DMax injector issues and its not like I am alone. Bartman and Heartbeat Canada, the tech said mine are borderline and they are not going to take a chance..all new injectors beats worries

·
Registered
706 Posts
Well I agree with ya there.

My only point is that 10K miles from now when you have new injectors and the noise comes back.........well.......I guess if I was 100 miles from no where all the time I would be paranoid too!

Sometimes I think a forum like this makes us all a little nuts chasing every little burp and hiccup....I'm sure my 01 injectors are not perfect any more but I'm not getting too crazy, it knocks sometimes, it might be the juice, it might be the injectors, but it runs everyday, has 75000 miles on it and is generally pretty reliable. So......I can sweat everytime I hear a new noise or I can just press that skinny pedal a little harder and do good PM...........PM is less stressful.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Can only the dealer check balance rates on injectors or will a Tech II be able to do it? Thanks.

LA DMAX

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
A tech 2 or a predator can check the balance rates for ya, if they're available to you.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
heartbeat,

Thanks, I have neither, but was just wondering.

LA DMAX

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I got the 8 new injectors and what a difference!! No pinging, lower all around noise and better mileage. Went to Yakima to pick up a friends new 12' Lance on saturday and averaged 13.2mpg driving 75 the whole way(empty down and loaded back). Goes to show if you don't buy what one diesel tech says go to another dealer and ask again. Treat your truck like your body, I say!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts