Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard that if the pilot bearing goes bad on these things, you can't just replace the bearing, you need to replace the entire flywheel?

True?

I heard because supposedly that's what my dealer did, trashed the pilot bearing putting my truck back together, so they ordered another new flywheel (2nd in 6 months). Hey, didn't cost me a dime.

I originally took it in for a damn coolant leak, turned out to be the friggen' seals between the bellhousing and rear cover or something. I forget and I just picked the truck up earlier this evening.:eek:: Guess I have CRS Syndrome.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Yep, the pilot bearing is in the flywheel, not the crank like a normal setup..
I would imagine that it isn't a replaceable bearing either..

·
Registered
489 Posts
The bearing is pressed into the flywheel at the factory. With a press you could get the old bearing out and put a new one in with some heat. The new versions of the flywheel have a sealed bearing and the older ones a open needle rollers. But all of this is for not since the factory DMF is a POS to begin with and will eventually fall apart!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
You see GM did ther homework. The used open needlebearings, which we know wont last too terribly long...BUT NEITHER WITH THE DMF!!!! :muahaha:

MaxRock

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You know, I'd be willing to bet my old flywheel was already going bad. It was only put on about 23,000 miles ago, and already started making some odd noises. On a side note, it looks like there was some air trapped in the cooling system from the leak fixin uppin. I got a low coolant level message, figure that the air bubble finally burped itself out while I was running on the highway.

Hmm..go figure. Even the service manager said the DMF wasn't so hot!!!:eek: :ro)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts