Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Banned
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've been saying I'd take some pics of my box and post it up for a long time now. Well finally here it is. What you're looking at here is about 2K +labor at retail. I know the pics aren't the best, I need to get Problemchild to come out here and get some shots for me. I have covers for the wires below the amps, but I just changed head units and had them off for tuning, it looks smooth with them on. I looked into having this box reproduced at a place that does it with a CNC machine, but loaded it would be over a grand! I'm working on a similar design with a less expensive yet quality brand that will run around $600 loaded. I gotta build it a hear it first though, I don't sell crap! I also put a night shot of my current Head Unit, a Kenwood X859, not my first choice but I had it already. I installed it to try out the PAC OS-2 Interface as well as the SWI-X. Both work great, the OnStar and steering wheel controls work with the new HU. I was running the factory unit to an 11 band EQ before this and my next HU will be pretty over the top...stay tuned this summer....

Ox

·
Registered
331 Posts
Looks nice! I hope to get my JL's installed soon also.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Looks good. Do you think the 8" is all anyone needs? Did you calc. the internal volume of each enclosure to match to what the sub recommends?

I'm thinking of going the same route, but I have one monster 5 channel amp and I was just going to stuff it in between the 2 subs.

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
Looks nice.. i got a JL-1000.1 and a 450.4 for my dmax.. with some PG ti6 comp's up front, and JL 525cx's in the back.. probably going with 3 jl 10w3v2-d6's so i don't have to move the back seats... i've had everything minus the subs for 6 months..just haven't had time to put them in!

·
Banned
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, The 8's actually hit pretty hard as 8's go, most people don't believe that they are 8's. Yes the enclosure was built to within 2ci of JL's recommended optimum internal volume as per JL's reference manual.

Drop me a line with what you have and I'll see if I can't help you design something..

Ox

·
Banned
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nick,
Mine are 8w3v2s and it's a tight fit, 10w6AEs or 4 8w3v2s would better suit your application as the 10w3v2s need more depth than is available. If you have money to burn, have someone fab you box with two 8w7s. It'll be tough and use ALL the space back there, but will hit...

Ox

·
Registered
946 Posts
Hey I want to add something similar, but found that a box wont fit behind or under the seat of my crew cab 04. Any ideas?

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Your not one of those guys sitting next to me at a red light going thump thump thump are you?

I hate that.....

Nice tunes dude

·
Registered
117 Posts
I go along with Ox on this one. I heard his system a few weeks ago and the 8's sound good. They do hit pretty hard, but have a nice tight sound to them. I was impressed and now thinking of doing something similar. I also liked how he changed his steering and a/c controls to a different color.

Chris

·
Registered
393 Posts
8's are great, they fill in a lot of the mid to low, so you get a good overal sound! But the box must be done correctly, and ox looks like he did a sweet job, where do I sign!!!!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Hey Ox, did you change the color of your AC and steering wheel buttons? If so, how in the world did you do it? Looks great, pulle dmy sub and amp out this weekend hope to start box soon!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Ox,

Any ideas for an extended cab. There is a company about to make a harness that allows the addition of an amp to the Bose 6CD changer, and would like to put something in to enhance my sound.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I'm pretty sure Ox is working on something for the extended cab. Pretty sure I know the guy...

Ty

·
Registered
747 Posts
Nice looking setup Ox. What is the mounting depth of those subs? I'll agree with grasshopper, 8's are perfect with the proper enclosure. What material did you use to build the enclosure? I have been trying to decide where I want to install subs. I have some pretty good equipment out of a truck I sold, just haven't decided how to do it yet. I will have to purchase or build a new enclosure because my old truck was a regular cab. Anyone know if you can purchase something to go between the stock head unit and the speakers that would allow you to step down output to pre-amp level, through the crossover and amps and then to the speakers using the factory harnesses? I would like to keep the stock head unit if at all possible. Maybe I can just find the factory plugs that go to the speakers and go inline? Haven't had an opportunity to dig in under the dash very much yet. Edited by: flhrciblueice

·
Registered
92 Posts
www.jpcustoms.com sells the PAC harness products. I believe they would have the harness you desire. The are putting together a harness to add audio inputs to the Bose 6 CD changer as well. I believe that several folks, including BlueOx have tried their products. I contacted PAC about the product above, and they mentioned a 3/1/04 release date. They were very helpful, and gave me the name of several distributors as they do not sell to the general public. jp customs has been mentioned in the forum before, might try them.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Diesel Power said:
Looks nice.. i got a JL-1000.1 and a 450.4 for my dmax.. with some PG ti6 comp's up front, and JL 525cx's in the back.. probably going with 3 jl 10w3v2-d6's so i don't have to move the back seats... i've had everything minus the subs for 6 months..just haven't had time to put them in!

That should be really nice. How do you like the PG ti6's? I was initially considering those, but I couldn't find any info on them. InfiniteCarAudio.com has had some amazing deals on them. I wound up going w/ Dynaudio 240 GT's, but I am hoping they can stand up to the power (over 300 watts RMS each for the front components). The PG's are supposed to handle that and more (they are actually manufactured by Morel I believe).

If you would, please post info/pictures on your sub install once complete.

I am going to start w/ a single IDMAX 12 facing the back inside a sealed center console/enclosure in between the two front seats. A single JL W7 would have worked as well. That powered w/ a US Amps 2000x should be enough, but if not I might put a couple of shallower subs under the rear seats (either upward or downward firing -- not sure). I will likely need the area behind the rear seats for the amps (the 2000x and three Zapco AG350's for the components), but I might be able to get them under the seats.

Amazing how little room there is in a crew cab

·
Registered
747 Posts

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
Ox,

thanks for posting this.. i finally got motivated.. my stereo and my alarm/autostart/turbo timer will be getting installed while i'm on vacation back east.. i guess i just needed a little reminder of what i'm getting!

1 - 20 of 128 Posts