Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Serveral members have asked me to post a few picks of where to tap in for power for the roof marker lamps. The stock factory harness plugs in in the fuse panel on the PASSENGER side of the truck. These picks are current for and 01-02 truck. Noewer ones may be different. Power and ground is there. The left pin is ground the the right is power. My lights were the high five lights for 69 bucks.

The red and black wires are the targeted wires. I had to turn the camera to take the pics so in reality the black wire will be on the left and red on the right. Any questions just ask.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Maverick,

I am replacing the switches that came with my Piaa lights with illuminated rockers mounted in the overhead console blank. The switches are in, but not wired yet. Do you think this would be a good tap source for power for the switches?

I have relays on both sets of Piaas, and only need a power source for the switches. BTW, I also mounted two extra switches (4 total), for add ons later. Is this power source connected to the headlights, or is it a constant 12v?

I want to run the wiring down the passengers side A pillar because I plan on installing a pillar gauge pod later, and don't want any unnecessary clutter on the driver's side pillar.

Great pics!

Thanks,

Kevin

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
cant say for sure but i think its hot only when your parking lights are on.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fireman, Chevmeister is correct. Its only hot when the lights are on.Grab a test light and look around for a hot. There may be one there somewhere.

·
Registered
33 Posts
just installed mine today, they look great thanks for the info on where to plug them in at. it took me a couple of hours as i took my good ol time and made sure they were stright and sitting in the right place before i drilled holes.I will put a pic on here hopefully tomorow.

thanks again

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Whats the factory wireing harness look like?

Where can we get one? Part number?

ON EDIT:

I thought you were talking about accesories blinking lights. The 3500 has already got roof marker lights....

Edited by: Gradyghost

·
Registered
716 Posts
Cab Clearance Lights....
Harness 15366160 list price-$30.96
Center Marker 15059751 list price-$60.50
Side Markers 15059752 list price-$60.50ea.

It just has 3 connectors on it for the lights and then a green rectangle plug on the other end. Get it at any gm dealer or like gmpartsdirect.com

·
Registered
33 Posts

her are the before and after pics, sorry the before is blurry wanted it dry in the garage. I was able to unscrew a set of factory lights and measure them, but i also took alot of time measuring mine and re-measuring so that they were perfect, when you drill into the roof of an expensive truck you want it right. Also the part number on my hi five lights were the exact same as what is on his factory lights.

thanks for all the info.

p.s.

i own a

2003 ex. cab,short bed 2500hd silverado

spray in liner

wifes

2003 ext. cab short bed 1500 z71

loaded every option

sprayed in liner

step tubes

Edited by: GMC-2002-Dmax

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
How did you get the hole square? I was told for the factory lights you need square mounts. Also, does the factory harness mount into the factory light setup...lights on market lights on?

Why are they so much money from the factory...the center which has three lights in it is the same price as one end with only one light!

·
Registered
33 Posts
from what i could tell the square pieces that come with the kit look to be replacements for the factory mounts. when i took my buddys off his had the black spacers in the roof, I work for GM and when we stamp the roof some (the ones for factory markers) get a square hole, this is because it is less likely to distort then a round hole when the are pressed. I didnt use them i just drilled a 7/64 pilot hole and used the sheet metal screws enclosed in the kit. As for price anything you buy from the dealer has mark up. when we stamp bumpers (rear) they cost about $22 to make but are $450 from the dealer, I know this because we are metal fab and i replaced my wifes rear bumper on her 03 silverado .

·
Registered
67 Posts
How come nobody has made a template yet for these lights?

How is it done at the factory? automated punch system?Edited by: seatec

·
Registered
85 Posts
You can also plug in your brake controller harness (under the dash on the drivers side). The brown wire is hot whenever dash lights are on.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Anybody know how to get the head liner down to run the wires down to the fuse block on the passenger side? Dont want to mess up the headliner getting it down once the lights are installed.

·
Registered
716 Posts
the headliner comes down by taking the screws out of the sun vizors and the clip that holds the sun visor. then there are little plugs in the handle above the passanger door. The front of the liner is glued to above the windshield, it just has to be carfully pryed. I didn't glue mine back, you can not tell any difference. Pry the plastic out between the front and back doors on the inside, it also holds the headliner up.

Kyle

·
Registered
123 Posts
Maverick:

I just finished the installation of my Hi Five lights. I need to know what kind of connectors you used on the pins and size. I couldn't fine any thing at the local auto parts and they didn't know either.

Thanks

Ridge Runner

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
ridge runner

by the looks of mavs third pic he used standard spade terminals.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Chevmeister:

Thanks, now I remember reading a post by Maverich somewhere that he used spade terminals. I had a mental block getting to old I guess.

ridge runner

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Chevmeister...I think mine were 1/4 spade. I squeezed them together slightly to get a more snug fit.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Thx for the info guys, just finished installing my lights tonight. The picture at the top of this thread was extremely helpful! Thanks again!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts