Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed filter today and thought I would pass along a few pics of filter. I did not get to cut factory filter as The dealer installed the Recall one and threw the Wix unit out. I will definitely cut the other one next time. I have cut them before with Nicktane kit installed and they look virtually brand new.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Wow...:cool2: Jeff! I've had my Nicktane kit on now for 8K miles. I was debating pulling it at 15K miles to check it to give me a gauge for future filters.

Thanks for the pics!!!

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Were you running a set of lift pumps with that filter?

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DURATYS,
No I am not. It is all factory. The Nicktane kit sits in rear wheel below TFI tank.

CrazyDaze: You are welcome. I had some time today when working on the truck as my daughter actually did the fuel filter change. So I showed her how to cut a filter. This is my second Cat I have cut and they looked almost Identical. I think a 20K mile change out is right. As for the OEM..I am still gathering info. I missed this last one as the dealer tossed it out. I asked them to save it but you know how that goes. Wanted to compare from the first one. Will have to wait for 20K more miles. I will change them together, cut them both open and post pics.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Any fuel aditives? Sure would have been nice to see the filter the dealer changed............

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DURATYS,
Yes I run FPPF Total Power at every fill it. As for the OEM filter I cut one after 20K when I changed the 1st CAT and it was spotless. I am hoping to gather enough info to confirm I can change CAT at 20K and the OEM at 40K. I believe this will be the case. And Yes I was angry they tosses it out. I even asked where it was, they said the recycle dumpster. I went to look and there were literally hundreds of them for the fuel filter recall. there was also oil filters. I had no idea which one was mine. Besides I was not going dumpster diving for it...:)

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
i bet the oem filter will look brand new due to the fact that the cat filter is 2 micron rating so it does most of the work and for the oem to get dirty it has to filter down lower than the 2 microns for the cat filter and i dont think it will be seeing much with that cat filter first

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
DURATYS,
Yes I run FPPF Total Power at every fill it. As for the OEM filter I cut one after 20K when I changed the 1st CAT and it was spotless. I am hoping to gather enough info to confirm I can change CAT at 20K and the OEM at 40K. I believe this will be the case. And Yes I was angry they tosses it out. I even asked where it was, they said the recycle dumpster. I went to look and there were literally hundreds of them for the fuel filter recall. there was also oil filters. I had no idea which one was mine. Besides I was not going dumpster diving for it...:)
next time paint your filter or do something to it so you will notice it

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hum I knew I needed to order that nicktane kit just have'nt gotten around to it. thanks for the info and pics.

shawn

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dieselman,
Funny. I write all over my filters when I install them. I write date and mileage all over it with Sharpie. But I could no see it. This was a fairly large dumpster. Oh well. I never take my truck to dealer. It has been to dealer 4 times in nearly 5 years and 3 of those were for TSB/recalls that I was forced to do. I do all my own work.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Am I seeing rust in the can in that third picture?

I cut all of my fuel filters open -- pre OEM Racor and OEM -- and have never seen rust.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
i think that is just sediment and stuff that has settled at the bottom of the filter

·
Registered
537 Posts
I think I'm being charitable with my question because that DOES look like rust to me. Plus he says he's running a TFI tank.

While aluminumized steel is used in the construction of the tank I'm not convinced that it would not rust along the welds. As expensive as our injectors are I would not like to see rust in my filter canister like that. I would not want to trust the OEM filter to pick up any of that kind of stuff if it gets past the CAT filter.

Some folks might even try switching fuel additives to see if it offers better corrosion protection.

Then again if it is not rust, then this is pointless.

I've never seen sediment in my filter canisters either...ever, FWIW.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
T-REX,
I swaddled the sediment out. It actually not rust. Was all sorts of bizarre debris. The filter media had what appears to human or animal hair( not a lot ) but enough to make you go Huh? Anyway when it was wiped out the can was clean.

I would like to add, I am not worried about rust from the TFI tank (not sure if it even exists). The CAT filter catches it all. My OEM filter when I cut the first one at 20K miles after installing the CAT was like brand new. It had a very slight yellowish color at the input side but in an area the size of a quarter. I say that anybody running only the OEM filtration system should be changing their filters every 10K miles. The CAT filter has twice the filtering media as the OEM and look at the picture of the CAT at nearly 20K miles...... :eek:

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
i knew it was not rust it just looked like dirt or something but thanks for clearing that up

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No Problem. I want the information factual for all. I like others, will base some decisions on information posted. I am an engineer so data means alot to me. Hate to post something that miss leads folks.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Good!

T-REX,
I swaddled the sediment out. It actually not rust. Was all sorts of bizarre debris. The filter media had what appears to human or animal hair( not a lot ) but enough to make you go Huh? Anyway when it was wiped out the can was clean.

I would like to add, I am not worried about rust from the TFI tank (not sure if it even exists). The CAT filter catches it all. My OEM filter when I cut the first one at 20K miles after installing the CAT was like brand new. It had a very slight yellowish color at the input side but in an area the size of a quarter. I say that anybody running only the OEM filtration system should be changing their filters every 10K miles. The CAT filter has twice the filtering media as the OEM and look at the picture of the CAT at nearly 20K miles...... :eek:
If the OEM looks that good what more can you say? Sounds good to me.:cool:

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
If the OEM looks that good what more can you say? Sounds good to me.:cool:
the only reason the OEM one looks so good is the cat filter is doing all the work and the fuel is just flowing threw the OEM filter already filtered down to 2 microns which is the same as the insie or out side of the new OEM filters so since the fuel isalready filtered the OEM filter does not really do anything because for it to do anything it would have to filter down stuff smaller than 2 microns

·
Registered
537 Posts
The CAT is not 100% efficient at 2 microns. And a 10 micron filter will still pick up particles smaller than 10. More filters are better -- the OEM does more than nothing. According to jbplock's data collected over a year ago, the CAT and the OEM filter more than the CAT alone.

http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO/OC_Dmax.pdf

It sounds like I'm nitpicking, but the evidence contradicts your remarks. I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea and think they can still get the best possible fuel quality and ditch the OEM.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
The CAT is not 100% efficient at 2 microns. And a 10 micron filter will still pick up particles smaller than 10. More filters are better -- the OEM does more than nothing. According to jbplock's data collected over a year ago, the CAT and the OEM filter more than the CAT alone.

http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO/OC_Dmax.pdf

It sounds like I'm nitpicking, but the evidence contradicts your remarks. I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea and think they can still get the best possible fuel quality and ditch the OEM.
i never said ditch the oem filter did i if i did let me know and i never said that the cat filter is 100% and i dont think the oem filter does much at all mabe after 20-30k it might be a little dirty but should not be to dirty

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.