Banned
6,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Step One: Remove Front End.....

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hoot,

I can not believe the sense of humor that you have over this...amazing! Have you gotten an estimate yet on the repair cost? Sure does look worse that what the first round of pictures showed.
Good luck with the insurance co!

John

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Material things..... They can be replaced.

They are talking weeks of haggling and even a possible entire frame replacement.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Might be a good time to give some of those hard to reach zerk fittings a squirt or two while you're at it....

TC

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I look at it as a photo op.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hoot, first off, you're right, "Material things can be replaced". Really poingnant if you've ever lost anything that wasn't material.

I can't believe that they would even consider a frame replacement on your truck!!! Your truck's really nice and all, but that is going to cost a TON of money to change that!! Seems like they would total it at that point, not necessarily want you want to hear either.

About 3 months before I bought my truck I bid on a truck at a salvage auction that was BRAND SPANKING NEW, never titled. Still had the window stickers in it. It was sitting on the lot, and someone lost control of a vehicle on the street hitting this truck, and then pushing it into the truck sitting right next to it. It looked like the front end had been smashed in a vice from both sides. The insurance company totalled this truck, and we figured it had somewhere in the neighborhodd of $10,000 damage. Ironic thing, this salvage truck was identical to yours, except it was a Chevy.

The frame alone is going to cost a few thousand +, let alone the labor to change it. Insurance companies are really funny.

Good luck.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Well it looks as if the fender location has been crash tested and I see no signs of a fuel leak!

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GMC-2002-Dmax said:
Hoot,

Block off those intercooler tubes,

Critters and dirt are no good..................

T
NY
How do you expect them to drive it?

Here are the other pics....

More smasholaEdited by: hoot

·
Registered
612 Posts
Major league OUCH!!
... Jim

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Hoot,

I just could not deal with that..... A good friend at work just bought his first NEW truck... a Chevy 1500 short box in charcoal black... three weeks after delivery, at 1700 miles he smaked a deer.... 5700 in damage..... all that black with new paint... he is sick.... Thinkin of takin his loss and getting a new one.....

Later

·
Registered
369 Posts
My buddies '01 1500 was hit, actually a envoy ran a light and he t-boned him, the front end actually did not look to bad, but it bid bend the frame they put a whole new frame under the truck, truck had to be over $19000 in damage to be totaled, the frame was only like $2000, then the labor of course...... regardless it was a lot less than $19000, surprisingly the truck seemed all right after all the work, but he only kept it 6 months then sold it. I can;t beleive they did not plug those intercooler pipes........

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Hoot

looks like a 18 pack, could run into a 24 if 2 guys workin on it at same time.

Geno

·
Registered
687 Posts
Hoot,

Not to be negative, but do you ever expect your truck to be like it was before the damage? If they DO total it, will you come out of it OK money wise? Seems like you have it photo documented very well. Every one of your photos I saw what you saw.....lots of bent metal that is almost impossible to fix (correctly at least!)

Are you hoping they rebuild it, and then soon after sell it?

Material things.......While nothing comes close to human life, this has to be a close second

Good Luck!!

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The only intercooler pipe that needs to be protected is the one on the lower left. That is the intake. I think I'm gonna stop by and put some type of filter over it. Have to be careful though, nothing that might get sucked in.

Body shops are not master auto mechanics... at least not all the employees.

I have used this shop many times before. When it's done I'll drive it. If it's screwed up still I'll hold it up to the Ins Co.

Till then......... Cavalier! wind noise and all.

·
Registered
17,915 Posts
OUCH!!! I hate looking at those pics

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
So much for worrying about injector failures!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Hoot,

So sorry to see your truck half naked. Don't forget
to have the insurance company pay to replace that
Post-OEM filter as part of the repair cost. The junk
inside surely got sloshed
around.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Are you going to ask them to leave the duct tape on for extra strength?
Sorry, it reminded me of another picture with two guys and a motorcycle. One guy was carrying the front and the other the back with the caption, "Where's the duct tape?"

1 - 20 of 26 Posts