Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lurked on this forum for a long, long, time contemplating the Dmax or the gasser. I pull a +- 4,000lb bass boat and wanted to make sure my tow rig was not "stressed" so I was looking at both. By the time you get done adding the extra's to the diesel (fuel additive, fuel filter, mucho amounts of oil, etc.) and lost sleep over the injector issues, I determined that it just wasn't cost effective. I got a sponsorship from a chevy dealer (I am a fishing guide) so I can get a vehicle at cost whenever I want. I'm going to run the gasser for a couple of years and see how I like it. Less if I don't!!LOL. I decided on the 6.0 in a 2500 HD for my first try. I'm sure I'll be back with tons of questions, you guys run a tight shop. This is a great board.

TOXIC

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
At least you got the right rapper.

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
Welcome............

The 6.0 runs well..........might have a slight piston slap, but the Tech's tell me it's normal..........

Good Luck with the truck............

T
NY

·
Registered
162 Posts
The 6.0L is a good strong motor for the HD's. It is not the most powerful of the line-up, but it can get the job done. It will handle the boat you are pulling with ease. I added a Westers Tune to my truck and talk about a wakeup call for my 6.0L.....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is not a slam guys but I picked up the new ride on Saturday, took the wife and daughter out for ice cream cones Saturday night, went to a friends for Easter dinner Sunday (80 mi. total on the odo.) and then left at 3am for a fishing trip at Kerr Reservoir (in VA) on Monday morning (I was not towing). Sitting in South Hill VA at 5am the tranny puked out. No warning whatsoever, tranny temp gague showing low temps, no engine codes, nothing!! Dealership there said that there was a TSB out on my truck for a factory defect in the transmission pump. Simple fix before being driven.... $3,500 transmission now. Dealerships started bickering over who got to fix it and ended up giving me a rental car to get me back to the DC area (Pontiac Sunbird....yeeeech). Dealership in South Hill is going to fix and then flatbed the truck back up here and pick up the pos rental they gave me. This morning I get up and head out for work and the rental blows a tire on hwy 66 rush hour. I get to work and get a call from the dealership that the new tranny was damaged in transit and they had to order another one. Don't get me wrong, I love the truck but this has to go down as one of the most screwed up experiences ever!! My dealer here says they will make it right, we'll see!!! I'm pretty dissappointed at this juncture.

TOXIC

·
Registered
138 Posts
Maybe try the Dodge with the HEMI? Just a thought.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Too Late for that!!LOL I'm already in bed with the bowtie. I don't have a problem with the TSB or the new trannie, it is how the dealership(s) handled it and the crap I have had to go through. I am glad that they are dropping a new properly made unit in, rather than pulling a defective one and putting a "fix" on it. It all hinges on how the dealership handles it from here on out. Notice I have not used any names, I am not mad. I do feel like I have had to go through a lot up to this point. Fingers crossed that it get's taken care of.

TOXIC

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update:

Going to pick up the truck tomorrow. Dealer is throwing in free all maintenance for 3/36. Now I get to break in another tranny!! Let's hope this one holds.

TOXIC

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I gotta Laugh......They had the truck ready and test drove it, tranny was fine, everything was a-ok. The Service Manager decided to personally test drive it to make sure. When he did, it threw a code. The SRM (Supplemental Restraint Module) went out and they have to oder another one from the factory....Yeowza....will it ever end...It hhas become a joke. Co-workers are setting up a pool to see when I wil actually get my truck and keep it for more than a week!!LOL At least it is doing it AT the shop instead of when I drive it!!

TOXIC

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well,

The truck is home and everything seems to be ok. I am going to get it broken in ASAP so I'm driving it into work every day. Everybody keep their fingers crossed!!

TOXIC

·
Registered
162 Posts
Wow sorry to hear you had some many issues with the trans. There is a recall in effect for the 04's for trans issues. Well hopefully this one will work out for you. Good luck with the new truck..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Freek.

I love the truck and you have to take the bad with the good. Sometimes you have to get the bugs out of them early on. We'll see long term. I am confident that it is in good shape now.

TOXIC

·
Registered
162 Posts
Taking the good with the bad is just the way things go when you own any vehicle. There are no guarantee's with anything. Take care..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, 1st oil change to syn. then a 2500 mile trip and no issues. Truck pulled my bassboat and a lot of gear like a beast!! Got to use the XM...nice plus, and the On-Star (somebody inadvertantly turned on the delayed locking feature!!LOL!!). Even with the earlier problems I am happy. I only have one problem.........I can't keep my wife outta the truck!! For someone who never wanted a truck, she suuuurrrre loves to drive it now!! Rides like a Caddy!! Life is good!!

TOXIC

1 - 16 of 16 Posts