Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tomorrow I go to pick up a new, 2004, 2500HD 4x4 LT D/A Crew short box.
That's me grinnin wide.

Question is. Is there anything I should have dealer program / setup / change settings for that only dealer can do? What I am getting at is I have read that the HI Beam indicator is generally too bright and dealer can reprogram brightness. Is this a fact or is this a joke? It's things like this that I need advise on.

Thanks

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
The bright high beam is no joke. I imagine they tamed it down for 04. I can't think of anything off hand to have the dealer do other then that. Enjoy

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Max Power, Thanks for the reply.

I see in your sig you have a retrax cover. How would you rate it? I haven't seen one yet, but am interested in some sort of bed cover. How much space does it take up when retracted? Can it be easily removed/reinstalled in a few minutes to allow full use of the truck bed? How much water would get into the bed area with it closed in a good rain? Would you buy another? Questions,,, questions, questions, I'm just full of em tonight.

Any info appreciated.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I also have the retrax cover. Mine is about a year old and they have changed the design a little. My friend just bought a new one for his 2004 and it is sleeker....

I also have the tailgate gasket and I added a small piece of rubber to the back of the cover to bump into the tailgate more... And I do not get a drop in the box in heavy rains or in car washes. I also added a strip up front. with anything.. You need to take some time to fill the holes that are left open from the install. I also have plastic bed rail covers that cover the stake pockets. My trick was to crawl into the bed, close everything, and look for light. When It was pitch black, I was done.... Take your time with it and it can be water tight.

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
Oh what a feeling!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Be sure that both of your remote door look/unlock key fobs work. Make sure you receive your Diesel suppliment. Also make sure that your dealer activates your Onstar. My dealer did none of this, wouldn't even send me my missing Diesel suppliment. Had to program the key fobs myself. Will I ever go back to this dealer? No way!

·
Registered
62 Posts
The Retrax box takes up about a foot in the front of the bed. Haven't really measured total takeup when open. It clamps to the bed rails with three clamps on each side, but I sure wouldn't be wanting to take it on and off unless changing trucks. With an 8 foot bed I'm not wanting for space though.

Would I buy another Retrax? YES!

Be sure to check the Hi Beam indicator (no joke) mine was like a blue ice pick being shoved into my eyes. Still got the electrical tape over that evil light.

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
Seems there was some discussion a while ago about some new owners not receiving their "front bra" or a "trailer wiring harness adapter or trailer brake controller harness" at the time of delivery.

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
The retrax is VERY easy to remove. The old ones have 6 clamps but the new ones only have 4. 30 seconds and you can remove it. You pretty much need 2 people to lift it out though. I have and can do it myself.

You won't see a drop of rain in the box. If you drive down dusty roads, as with any cover just will get in the box. You would have to make the box airtight to avoid this.

I rate it a 9.5 out of 10. My only complaint is that the polycarbonate cover scatches pretty easy. But in all reality it is no more delicate then the paint on your truck. So with a little TLC it will never be an issue.

This is the 4th retrax cover I have personally owned and we have sold dozens. The 1st generations had a few problems but they are now on their 3rd Gen and they have all the wrinkles worked out. After sales service is second to none.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Trippin said:
Seems there was some discussion a while ago about some new owners not receiving their "front bra" or a "trailer wiring harness adapter or trailer brake controller harness" at the time of delivery.

GM stopped giving the trailer brake controller harness away after '02, and the front bra after '04. Cheap bastages! I kept the harness from my '02, I hope it works when the time comes.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Camstyn said:
Trippin said:

GM stopped giving the trailer brake controller harness away after '02, and the front bra after '04. Cheap bastages! I kept the harness from my '02, I hope it works when the time comes.

Wiring changes were made to the trailer brake harness for '03.

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
I heard that GM was putting the wiring harnesses in the trucks again and that they provide the winter fronts in places where it gets cold enough to need them.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Camstyn said:
I kept the harness from my '02, I hope it works when the time comes.

I believe the wiring changed on these in the 03 models. The harness has two wires reversed in the 03.

John

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
You can always just change the wires in the plug. I think it is the brown and the lt blue you have to change.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Trailer wiring harness and 7pin-4pin adapter plug were in glove box. At least it is in this GMC.

The bra is now an option.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Goin Camping said:
The Trailer wiring harness and 7pin-4pin adapter plug were in glove box. At least it is in this GMC.

The bra is now an option.

I bought a 2004 and I didn't get either the Trailer harness or the 7 to 4 adapter. I bought the Chevy. Anyone else with a Chevy get these items? When you say the trailer wiring harness, your talking about the harness for the elec. brakes? And according to my window sticker I have the "Trailering Wire Harness",so this is just the 7 pin plug, and wiring hooked up to the lights,right? Then in the option area it says HD Trailing Equipment,and this was $210, Is this the hitch? And when i buy the elec. brake, probably the TEKONSHA PRODIGY with the harness for a '04 Chevy, it will just plug in under the dash??? Thanks as always. Ed
Edited by: hog1340hd

·
Registered
112 Posts
If you want a bra, and wiring harness insist on it. I can hardly believe those cheap bastards would even trivialize such a thing on such an expensive vehicle.

I would also want the pizza cutting 245s off, and 265s installed, or maybe 255/85s if I could find some decent ones. definately at least E load rated regardless. --SS

·
Registered
174 Posts
hog1340HD,

Go with the prodigy controler & do buy the haness adaptor. It plugs in under the dash on the drivers side (into the black electrical box on the left side - closest to the LF wheel) .

It's a GREAT unit!! When you start the install, it will take about 20 min to complete. The hardest part is deciding where to mount the controler!

The harness is pretty much "plug & play" I have not heard of anyone having problems, just make sure you get the harness for a 2003/2004, not the 2002 wiring.

PDS

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
Some early 04 didn't get the extras in the trailer package.

The price went up to $235 w/ the extras from $210 so NO FREE LUNCH.

I've been searching the country for a GMC and been looking at the trailer packages.

The base cost went up $145 already on the 04.

I'm trying to find another Blue GMC SLT CC D/A LB but may have to go sport red or white this time.

Anyone got a sport red w/ flares ?

Are the red or black on GMC?

Buypower shows black on Chevy and red on GMCEdited by: Dmax Tim

·
Registered
444 Posts
Make sure YOU check the fluid levels (front and rear differential and transfer case.) mine were all 1 to 1-1/2 qts low from the factory)

You may also want to change the front and rear fluids at about 1000 miles ( Open to extreme debate ). A lot of us, including myself have found the fluids extremely dirty when changed within 1K to 3K miles.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts