Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I'm fairly new to this forum and so far, everyone has been a huge help by letting me know which questions to ask like if the Injector Pump was ever replaced, etc, etc.

Anyway, I would like to do some performance upgrades. I hardly tow anything but would like the extra power like everyone else without going into the engine or replacing the exhaust.

Any information you can give me would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Pete..:)

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
I'm gonna get crapped on here but the very first thing you do is exhaust. Then after you get gauges you can start upping the power in a meaningful way.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
You aren't gonna get crapped on. Exhaust doesn't modify fuel or boost!

Pf, if you don't want to replace the exhaust at least replace the bent to heck downpipe. But replacing the whole exhaust does wonders for these trucks.

Then you can look at other performance goodies after gauges. Chip, injectors, intercooler, 1997 cooling upgrade. Just remember! As the Turbine Doc says,

MAKE NO MODIFICATIONS THAT ALTER FUEL OR BOOST WITHOUT FIRST INSTALLING GAUGES!!!

·
Registered
374 Posts
1. Downpipe
2. Intake
3. Guages
4. Go nuts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys,

The only thing I'm worried about when it comes to the exhaust is the noise. I don't want to make it too loud. Is there a manufacturer who makes a somewhat of a quiet system?

Thanks again,

Also, where can I purchase these performance parts? I know of Kennedy Diesels but anywhere I can save the most would be great.

Pete.:)

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Thank you guys,

The only thing I'm worried about when it comes to the exhaust is the noise. I don't want to make it too loud. Is there a manufacturer who makes a somewhat of a quiet system?

Pete.:)

Pete, you're approaching this all wrong. You bought a diesel truck, not a toyota celica. What are a few extra decibles amongst friends? Open the exhaust up and let her rip!

Are you concerned about interior noise or just being considerate of your neighbors?

Most noise is deflected by the turbo. So even if you straight pipe it, it will be louder. A stock dodge 12 valve cummins is louder than a 6.5 with 4 inch exhaust.

go to www.ssdieselsupply.com and read up on their system. You could also get a muffler with baffles for the 4" system. That would tone it down a little bit.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
It's not loud.. sounds throaty like a bada$$ bigblock with turbo whine. I had a heck of a time with getting the 4" system to fit and not hit the torsion bar crossmember and there is much speculation it's too much for the 6.5. You might want to consider the Kennedy 3.5" system with it's nice removable/adjustable clamps.

·
Registered
187 Posts
3 inch pipe str8 back on mine. Can listen to radio at low volume and hold conversation normally. Interior exhaust noise is next to nothing. Just a very nice deep throaty sound.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
C'mon Pete, join us. Change your exhaust....drink the koolaid....):h

·
Registered
317 Posts
:funnypost "If you're one of us, you'll change your exhaust!"

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay Okay guys, you convinced me on the exhaust upgrade.

Joispoi, I would still like to hear your suburban when we meet up. I will check out the SS Diesel Supply.

Thanks again,

Pete..:)

·
Registered
361 Posts
Pete.. It's good to see more CT people on the site. I've been thinking about the same thing. I hate to replace my stock exhaust cause it's still in great condition. I felt that I would replace it when it rotted out.. go figure, it's lasting..

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
It will probably last another 10 years. They used good material for the stock system. Too bad they made it too narrow and restrictive.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts