Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to build the tranny up to handle more (around 550rwhp) but I am on a limited budget ($2k with labor). I have a Transgo, what else is needed and about how much for each? I would like it to be reliable b/c it is a daily driver. The budget amount is not in stone. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Your converter is going to be the most expensive part, around $1100 to $1370 depending on single or triple dics. Add the transgo, $199 on ebay. The I would replace your C2's and C3's depending on if you have burned your factorys.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would stock clutch replacements handle the power or would I need to upgrade to a higher quality. Also which one do I need to rpl and which ones do I need extras in? I would like to just replace all the clutches and add some where needed. I think a single disk converter would suffice...

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Single disc would probably hold fine. Have you ran a power adder on your truck? I would definately replace the C2's and C3's. It wouldnt hurt to replace the C1's and C4's also. I dont think I have heard of anyone replacing the C5's. The stock replacement should hold with the added pressure of the transgo. How many miles do ya have on it?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have 39k on it. I keep getting a servo stuck code when it shifts to 5th with my 95hp Power pup. I would like to upgrade to the 150hp pp and eventually stack it with a Hot juice or VA smart box.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I see, the single disc, transgo, C2 & C3 replacement should do you just fine. This is pretty much what Diesel Power put in his truck. You might want to talk to him about it. Oh also they say to put the 190psi tc valve.

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
Arnt clutches cheap? why not replace em all while its appart? just curriuos since I thinking of doing some mods myself.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
anywhere from $900-$1000 for the set, not too cheap. I was also told that very rarely are the 4th and 5th burnt at all.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Well here's how much mine cost.

$200 transgo "ebay"

$100 TCC valve "tts"

$130 C2, and C3 friction and steels "allison dealer"

$215 Deep allison pan

$49 Deep filter

$695 single disc from midwest toque converts "w/no core required"

Total of $1389 +/- $100 shipping

·
Registered
361 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Seems to be doing great, I am in WI and well i just did it and it's still parked for winter. I got a few miles on it but I don't think it'll be out till at least mid March, when all the salt is off the roads.

I put in everything above. I didn't go with any high friction clutches for one the price and for two, reading in here if the clutch doesn't slip something else is going to...

Jon

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
big_jon00

you did not pay enough for your converter. The fact that there was no core involved tells me you got a 8.1 converter rebuilt with a cut stator that is basicaly stock, or a 4L80E converter hybrid with Ally hub. Good luck.

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
Sorry to say, cheap and Allison don't mix. You'll need some machining/ additional clutches IMHO to hold a REAL 550 RWHP under heavy use...

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
130$ for 2 or 900$ for 5
hell of a price jump. I was thinking of what clutches cost for a frigging regular trany.

So if someone were to be running around mostly with the 90 hp juice with a few runs with the 125hp, a handfull of launches in 4 with no more than 3 pounds or so of boost, 20k on the ticker, plowing and running around with an extra 900# in the bed for balast in the winter......

What clutches should I get? I'd hate to get my trany apart and find that I need to order some more stuff and it sit for another week. And I rather just do it once. That and unless it looks obviously bad I dont know if I could diagnosis a problem. Rather not spend 900$ in clutches if I dont need em though.

Eventually I would just like to run the "unavailable" edge box if I could get my grubby mitts on it......otherwise the big quad and maybe stack it with the juice I got. Not much racing, or towing, just playing on the street and plowing.

Still trying to come up with a gameplan of what I am going to do and if I'm going to do it myself(probably) or not.

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
I hear ya
But I'm a cheap ass and am thinking I could do it myself.(or am I nuts?) How much for the parts from ya? Any imput on the clutches? Or just dump the c1 and 3?

[email protected] if you wana drop me a line

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.