Diesel Place banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,

my daughter's horse riding instructor has a '96 Dodge Cummins dually that he uses only for pulling the horse trailer.........

He's unhappy with the lack of power while traveling up small hills and absolutely hates it on the big hills.

What do you guys recommend for him to get to improve the towing capability of his truck???? I was thinking either plate or injectors (maybe both)combined with a better exhaust system.

On a side note, he DOESN'T drive this truck hard at all and only wants better towing performance, so no "hot-rodding" parts needed. He also has a stock automatic tranny and really doesn't want to go the torque convertor/valve body route.

Which parts(brands and #'s) work best for these older trucks???

Many thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
111 Posts
you are on the right track Kill the kitty and loose the muffler for a better one and add a better intake. get an egt gauge and slide the plate forward

·
Registered
360 Posts
He has a 180hp motor. He can upgrade to around 200rwhp without much worry, but I would highly recommend he at minimum upgrade valve bodies. He could easily make 260hp/600tq to the wheels and have a great tow rig, but he will need to take care of the tranny to use it.

My 24v and Mikes 97 12v are at this level and I pull the dyno without EGT concerns. The 12v pulling Mikes 5ver requires he watch the EGT guage and drop out of OD on the hard pulls. But both can pull 5% grades at over 22k gross at 70 mph.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts