Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Just so you know, I have found a truck that is somewhat local to me and I'm buying it this Saturday. Its a 1995 GMC Sierra 2500 2WD Extended Cab with the 8' bed. The truck has 122K miles on it but it looks like it has 22,000. The original owner took very good care of the truck, just as I will. The injector pump was replaced at 50K miles (Thank you to this forum, I was able to ask the right questions) and the dealer has receipts. The truck was bought new in 95 at this dealer.

Anyway, can someone tell me what I can do performance wise with this truck that's not two expensive?

Thank you for your input.

Pete..:)

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
Exhaust, gauges and Chip, in that order

Probably a Cool $1000 for all. Worth every penny.

After that, you have to bust the engine open or bolt up an intercooler

Tim

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Get rid of the vacuum controlled wastegate.

Go mechanical via TM or homemade.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Glad you flatlanders can do the TM. I have WAY too much altitude change to run a turbo master.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for your input guys, I'm very excited about my purchase and cannot wait to pick it up on Saturday. It was very hard to find a diesel truck like this one that is in mint condition.

I will post some pictures of it when I bring it home on Saturday.

Everyone: this truck has the factory camper mirrors on it but would like to install the factory black electric mirrors on it. Would the wiring harness be in place for this and are the factory mirrors worth anything?

Cowracer:, what kind of chip do you recommend?

Thanks again,

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Pete how about adding your truck info to your signature so I don't have to scroll back to the top of the post to figure out what we are talking about. any chip from an advertiser here, not definative answer who's chip is best, find your best deal and go with it. Factory mirrors should be plug and play, but why swap back to those from towing mirrors

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
mirrors

Thank you for your input guys, I'm very excited about my purchase and cannot wait to pick it up on Saturday. It was very hard to find a diesel truck like this one that is in mint condition.

Everyone: this truck has the factory camper mirrors on it but would like to install the factory black electric mirrors on it. Would the wiring harness be in place for this and are the factory mirrors worth anything?

Thanks again,

Uh, what are you going to do about the holes in the doors when you remove those mirrors?

...and if you do this, what are you going to do with the mirrors?

SnowDrift

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Uh, what are you going to do about the holes in the doors when you remove those mirrors?

...and if you do this, what are you going to do with the mirrors?

SnowDrift
Hi SnowDrift, I'm not sure what I'm going to to do about the holes...I was hoping someone from here would give me some good suggestions, maybe put some nice looking chrome bolts in it's place.

As for the mirrors, I would sell them to someone, but I'm not sure what they are worth.

Turbine Doc:, I will add the truck to my signature now, thanks..:)

·
Registered
8,982 Posts

Thanks again,

I run a Heath Max-E-Tork, and like it. Kennedy has a good chip as well.

Either of those two provide good results. If you go to a mechnical wastegate, the Heath is set up for that. If you wish to keep the stock wastegate set-up then I would give Kennedy the nod.

tim

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Hi SnowDrift, I'm not sure what I'm going to to do about the holes...I was hoping someone from here would give me some good suggestions, maybe put some nice looking chrome bolts in it's place.

As for the mirrors, I would sell them to someone, but I'm not sure what they are worth.

Turbine Doc:, I will add the truck to my signature now, thanks..:)

I'd suggest stainless steel bolts or button head nuts or something like that and silicone around the hole to keep moisture out. Just seal it up inside and out. You'll have to remove your door panel to get to the bolts to take them off, anyhow.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Cowracer,

Thank you for the quick reply. I may keep the wastegate stock so I may go with the Kennedy chip. Does the chip really make a difference in performance? I'm picking the truck up this Saturday.

Excellent suggestion SnowDrift. The stainless bolts would be good and that's what I probably will go with.

Thanks again,

Pete

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Hi Cowracer,

Thank you for the quick reply. I may keep the wastegate stock so I may go with the Kennedy chip. Does the chip really make a difference in performance? I'm picking the truck up this Saturday.

Excellent suggestion SnowDrift. The stainless bolts would be good and that's what I probably will go with.

Thanks again,

Pete
First time I went WOT with the Kennedy chip I thought something broke when it made the 1-2 shift! I love it and can't believe I didn't do the upgrade sooner :(, truck is noticeably more fun to drive :ro)

·
Registered
15 Posts
The 97 cooling upgrade kit is well worth the money. It has made my truck run a lot cooler. We all know this is a good thing. Have fun with your "new to you" truck!

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks guys,

Like I said, this is my first diesel truck and I'm really excited!!. I was going to order an 06 GMC 2500HD with the Duramax, but my wife needed a vehicle so we purchased a really clean 02 Trailblazer. I liked this SUV so much, but loved the Oldsmobile heritage so much (sold a 1970 Oldsmobile 442 W-30) that I went out and bought an 04 Olds Bravada.

I bought three vehicles for the price of one and I really liked the GMC and wanted a real clean truck so I'm really excited. I was told that the original owner changed the oil every 3000 miles and the fuel filter too! The dealership has all of the receipts. The truck was garaged all its life too.

I will go with the upgraded cooling system and the Kennedy computer chip.

Thanks again,

Pete

·
Registered
108 Posts
Thanks guys,

Like I said, this is my first diesel truck and I'm really excited!!. I was going to order an 06 GMC 2500HD with the Duramax, but my wife needed a vehicle so we purchased a really clean 02 Trailblazer. I liked this SUV so much, but loved the Oldsmobile heritage so much (sold a 1970 Oldsmobile 442 W-30) that I went out and bought an 04 Olds Bravada.

I bought three vehicles for the price of one and I really liked the GMC and wanted a real clean truck so I'm really excited. I was told that the original owner changed the oil every 3000 miles and the fuel filter too! The dealership has all of the receipts. The truck was garaged all its life too.

I will go with the upgraded cooling system and the Kennedy computer chip.

Thanks again,

Pete
That sounds like the same guy I got my truck from only he was from Green Bay Wisconsin maybe he has a brother near you !!!??? I've thought about calling him to let him know that when he gets rid of his2004 Duramax not to trade it in but give me a call .:)

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Hi Cowracer,

Thanks again,

Pete
I'll add my vote in favor of stainless.

don't use silicone as it holds moisture and does not provide a good barrier against rust. Windshield adhesive is a better bet IMO.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi JoiSpoi,

I see that you live in Connecticut, where abouts? Maybe we can get together sometime. I'm picking up the truck on Saturday from Maine.

Thank you for your reply in regards to mirror bolts.

Also, that Ford of yours looks pretty nice.

Thanks,

Pete.:)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts