Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have heard from numerious people that the 6.5 is near its factory tolerance limits off the line. However, its safe to do things like 50hp upgrade and about 80ft lbs. Beyond that the longevity of the motor drops drastically. I see things like +190hp upgrades etc, how safe are these? Assuming you have a fresh motor? For those who have one, how many miles do you have on these types of upgrades?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry, not 190, I mean 118. Don't know where I got that!

·
Knows The 6.5
3,142 Posts
With stock internals, I'd semi agree, the major hurtle we see with the 6.5 is the crank, after that, it's the high compression ratio, but you can swap pistons for that, I know a guy (And have seen the truck) who has an intercooler, 18:1 compression, a penninsular turbo, heath ECU and he drives the thing daily, and it's lasted him a few years. I'd say the major part to longivity would be keeping an eye on what your foot is doing to your engine, as long as you play by the rules, and watch your boost and pyro, the 6.5 is the ultimate red headed step child... keeps commin back for more :D I know that with what I have, I'm not afraid to get in it and stay in it (playin in the mud 1st gear, WOT, 4lo) Temp gauge bearly gets above 100 degrees C... I'd like to see what my egt's are like doin that though... No problems so far though.

·
Registered
714 Posts
If you want a hard line number, you aren't gonna get it.

Anything you do is gonna take a toll on it eventually. You can tweak it some, but it just isn't gonna be a fire breathing HP monger.

IMHO, anything over a mild increase is like supercharging a hand grenade. It is still gonna blow up. It is just not a heavy duty engine.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
if i do a rebuild it will be with 18:1 pistons. that much i do know. it aslo seems that if you take care of your harmonic dampenerator your crank should be ok for a while. (sound right?) i figure a 40 hp chip, marine injectors, and exaust should be safe on a stock motor. i just want decent power and to be able pull 7k lbs at 70 mph or so without having it floored. (as i hear some people here talk about). im not looking for a hot rod, just something efficient and capable. (getting rid of the truck in my signature and into an inexpensive diesel)

·
Registered
537 Posts
I would go with a scat crank at a minimum and then add a fluiddampner(?) balancer. An intercooler is also a must or at least a must to do. Before my engine "let go", I had a 40 HP chip in it and to tell the truth, I didn't notice much of anything. You may want to consider adding gauges (like everyone says round here) first to see how things are.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Yow, I can pass on to you my own expeience with the mods I have and towing with them. You can see the mods that I have done to my truck in my sig. I tow a fifth wheel about the weight that you are talking about. I have towed many thousand miles with it and the truck does not skip a beat. The one thing that I wish I had done is an intercooler. In the high summer heat in long steep hills I am very careful of EGT. I have no troble what so ever towing at 70MPH and don't have to be on the floor to do it. The truck is night and day different from stock. I do maintain the truck to the T. Just my own experience for whatever it is worth. Maybe I'll get to the intercooler this winter.

Dan

·
Registered
865 Posts
This site has been a big help in my decision on what to do with my truck. This thing seems to break cranks and crack heads stock so I just decided to keep it near stock. All I've done to my truck is mod the air box and remove the muffler. The last thing I'm going to do is get a downpipe and call it a day and just enjoy it. I'm just going to mod something that can take mods better.

·
Registered
87 Posts
if i do a rebuild it will be with 18:1 pistons. that much i do know. it aslo seems that if you take care of your harmonic dampenerator your crank should be ok for a while. (sound right?) i figure a 40 hp chip, marine injectors, and exaust should be safe on a stock motor. i just want decent power and to be able pull 7k lbs at 70 mph or so without having it floored. (as i hear some people here talk about). im not looking for a hot rod, just something efficient and capable. (getting rid of the truck in my signature and into an inexpensive diesel)
i dont see a problem with a 7k load. 4:10's will really help you there. i think you should talk with heath. 7k should be a easy tow

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Numbers that Heath claims are AT the crank - not at the rear wheels...BIG difference...

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ive been hitting ss diesel. the past week or so ive been review heaths site to see whats available. thanks guys.

·
Registered
32 Posts
with-in the last 6 months I have done alot to my 6.5. It has 127,000 miles. All I know is that it is a whole different truck to drive and pull with and there should be no reason with a sound maintance program, why it shouldn't run a very long time. If not, it was fun......:mad:

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I would say most of the crank problems are from the factory dampers going bad. 1st upgrade on project truck will be a Fluidampr. Other problem on 6.5 I want to change on the project rig is that of the factory oil cooler lines, we plan on getting a DSG kit.

·
Knows The 6.5
3,142 Posts
This site has been a big help in my decision on what to do with my truck. This thing seems to break cranks and crack heads stock so I just decided to keep it near stock. All I've done to my truck is mod the air box and remove the muffler. The last thing I'm going to do is get a downpipe and call it a day and just enjoy it. I'm just going to mod something that can take mods better.
Just to touch on the broken cranks, Unless you try to get unrealistic with the engine as far as power goes, the harder you drive it, the better it is, I've come back from a work trip, and after 2 weeks of being driven around in OD by my folks, I notice that when I get on it hard, and she gets hot, she wakes up, cause all the crap that can build up when the egt doesn't get hot enough, get's blown out.
The guys that helped me out when putting my engine together sware by treatin em tough, and I trust em.

·
Registered
84 Posts
yes sir i drive mine like i stole i, i think i did only paid 5gs for it 4 years ago with 150,000 miles on it. i drive mine evey day ican aford to:( and i like the sound of it wen it opens up we have powerstokes at work and im happier in my 65

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
These things are good to hear, from what i can tell the 6.5 isnt a bad motor, if strictly maintained. They aren't without their problems though, thankfully there are somewhat affordable aftermarket fixes.

·
Knows The 6.5
3,142 Posts
They are a great engine when you use them right, I mean, it's like expecting a two stroke to be the same as a four stroke, same design, slight but very important differences, and you have to drive each engine according to what it is. You wouldn't shut down your turbo diesel after a long hard romp, and let the turbo fry, like you would with a non turbo gasser, why drive it the same?
Do you think big rig engines are driven nicely and babied? Or do they have the piss pounded out of them? And how many miles do those engines see?

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
200+ rwhp on mine external bolt on stuff only almost 3 years now running this way. occasional 18K pulls

·
Registered
369 Posts
Ditto on the 4:10's. An auxiliary transmission from US Gear or Gear-Vendor might be a way to get better towing performance w/o adding power.

Nick

·
Banned
9,366 Posts
I added the power, and I love it... on year 3 since I did it, and I pull a 9800 lb 5er.

I think that, with the cooling upgrades, TM, and chip, I'm far easier on the truck than I was before, when it was stock; I don't HAVE to romp on it to make it go.

Look around on here, search the site. There are a lot more of us with big HP gains than you're hearing from in this piddly little thread.

But, to each his own. This is a tough engine if you take care of it, just don't be stoopid with it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts