Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before crossing the border at Lukeville, AZ(Gringo Pass) we stopped to price diesel. Since diesel was $2.33 per gallon we decided to fuel at a Pemex station. The cost in Mexico was 4.840 per litre. When converted to U.S. dollars the cost is $1.93 for four litres or slightly more than one U.S. gallon. The Duramax ran quiter and cooler on Pemex.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Yikes.........Better change your fuel filter!

·
Registered
687 Posts
I've read a little about driving in Mexico, but never see much about Diesel fuel... They only say that the gas is equivalent, sometimes dirter. Gardnerteam would know most about the fuel in Mexico... I see he is always down there.

·
Registered
534 Posts
We are planning to travel to Baja this year and I also wonder
how clean is the Mexican diesel fuel.

I may just have to carry a case of CAT filters with me

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Up here, diesel is 67.9 cents CAN for per liter of diesel. FYI.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I am planning on going to baja in June--will need to fuel up down there. I have seen dmaxes in Loreto and La Paz when I drove my 6.0l gas truck.

Appreciate anyone with info.

I have noticed the Pemex stations in Baja are relatively new.

Thanks

Ron

·
Registered
534 Posts
Max Owner

Using the currency difference of 0.7369
and the volume difference between US vs CAN
your diesel price comes to about $2.10 US cost.

About the same here in California

·
Registered
534 Posts
Ron,

I'll bet those D/Max trucks you saw weren't short beds?

I remember traveling Baja with a little truck and I
ended up putting a piece of duct tape over the
gas gauge....... The gas stations were far and few
between nor reliably open and I figgered it better not
knowing than worrying about fuel. At the time there
was nothing I could do about it anyway.

From the WEB:

Gasoline and diesel are sold at Pemex stations throughout Baja.   For many years availability of gasoline or diesel at any given station was problematic and most stations were old and provided little in the way of amenities. Within the last several years Pemex has undergone a remodelling effort and many new, modern stations have been constructed.   It seems that each time I travel to the Bay the Pemex stations have changed;   they have been updated, new ones built, or an old one closed.    Fortunately, there are more stations each time, and all of them are much nicer, cleaner, and open longer.   Gasoline and fuel availability is no longer the problem that it once was.    But I still think that a healthy dose of caution should be exercised;   never travel on less than half-a-tank, try and carry extra fuel, and try not to rely upon a single source of fuel.
Edited by: 56Nomad

·
Registered
140 Posts
56Nomad said:
Max Owner

Using the currency difference of 0.7369
and the volume difference between US vs CAN
your diesel price comes to about $2.10 US cost.

About the same here in California

The way I figure, it works out to $1.894 US per US Gal.(3.7854 litres per US Gal.) Yes thats close to what you are paying, but what makes us feel better, driving diesels, is reg. gas is $0.899 Cdn per litre and that works out to $2.508 US per US Gal. This summer they are saying it will be over $1.00 Cdn per litre.
OUCH

·
Registered
625 Posts
Diesle/Gas , heck in Mexico you should be worried about the water you drink. Your truck will run on the diesel, and you will also "run" on the water

·
Registered
310 Posts
I'm going down Rocky Pt to pit crew for Revenge Racing team (Sidewinder and Predator dual purpose cars) for the Whiplash Race on May 1st. I'll be crossing at Lukeville and will likely end up buying some Pemex while down there.

I'll have my usual spare filter onboard, and I'll let everyone know how she runs and the price of fuel.

·
Registered
18 Posts
On April 4th, I returned from a 10 day trip from Denver to the town of Alamos and back. Alamos is about 400 miles south of Nogales on the west side of the Mexico mainland. Bought fuel 3 times in Mexico. Paid about a $1.78 a gallon if my conversions from Pesos to dollars and litres to gallons are correct. Most, but not all of the Pemex stations have diesel, and I didn't notice a difference in how my Dmax drove. I did start my trip with a fresh Cat filter (Nictane kit), and I use Stanadyne additive. Put a total of about 2800 miles on the truck during the trip, and no after effects from the Pemex diesel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts