Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried to flash the PCM and something happened right after it started the re-flash, it will not start and will not re-flash. EFI Live is telling me that the PCM does not recognize the bootloader and to please enter the key code to unlock, I did not set a key code so I dont know why this message appears. When I try and start the truck it does nothing! I dont know what went wrong and at this point I have tried 15 times to re-flash and it doesnt help. What happened and what do I do to fix it!

Thanks,
Bentley

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Calibration or Full Flash?

Turn IGN off for a few minutes.
Restart PC
Retry

If still fails.

Disconnect battery
Restart PC
Retry

Cheers,
Ross

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Calibration or Full Flash?

Turn IGN off for a few minutes.
Restart PC
Retry

If still fails.

Disconnect battery
Restart PC
Retry

Cheers,
Ross

I was attempting a full flash. I tried your first sugestion when I was f-ing with it. I just un-hooked the batteries and will let it sit for the night. Truck was in a parking lot about 15 miles from my house so I had to get a buddie to tow it back to my house. I will try it again in the morning and see what it does.

I am stumped that it is asking me to put in the key for the PCM since I never had one set. Enlighten me on what happened!?

Does this have anything to do with what happened before, EFILive telling me that the batteries were to low?

Thanks Ross!!!!!

Bentley

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, when I was re-flashing it would come up with an error and say that my batteries were to low and would not re-flash until I hooked up a battery charger.

Bentley

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Bently, this is sounding really bad, I was afraid you would say full flash!!
I don't know what went wrong, but flashing with a low battery voltage warning was probably not a good move. Full flashing as you saw brings up a warning...........are you sure, this could kill your ECM, looks like it may have.

O.K, what I will do is PM you the details to get another ECM to you ASAP, I am pretty sure that one is now brain dead.
A couple of questions -

1 - Had you been having troubles flashing before this (before the battery warnings?)
2 - Do you normally do a calibration flash or the full flash?

When it was attempting to flash, you may have noticed the traffic light at the bottom of the screen, if that was still Red when it crashed then the ECM will be 'brain dead', if it got into the area where the light turns orange, you should be able to recover in the morning.

Cheers,
Ross

P.S - a78turbo, looks like you now have a VP.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was not looking at the traffic light when it happened. I ususally do a calibration but my oil life percentage had been freakin out so I wanted to do a full to see if it would fix itself. I didn't have any issues flashing it yesterday, it worked fine the 2 times I did a calibration before that. The battery warnings I had asked you about a little while ago, thats what I was speaking of. I am going out to try it!

Bentley

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
Guys, do yourself a favor and flash ONLY after the truck has been operated to full temp and battery charge, and do not attempt multiple successive flashes without adequate charging of the batteries. If you come out to a cold truck and try to flash you may end up locking up an ECM. Especially if you run your laptop from the vehicle electrical system.

A small charger on the batteries may help, but Ross would have to clear this for noise potential voltage sensitivity etc.

I think that a Tech 2 may be able to recover the PCM.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had just stopped in the parking lot to do a quick re-flash, I let the truck run untill I was ready to flash it, shut it down and tired to flash it.

Well I just went out and tried it again, still doing the same thing. I hope that a new PCM is not to expencive!!

Kennedy - Tell me more about the Tech 2 fixing the PCM!?

Thanks everyone,
Bentley

·
Registered
459 Posts
I know the feeling. :eek: Welcome to my club. Sorry to hear that another ECM has fatal error. I know what it is like to be stranded with a truck that won't move. :exactly:

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sad part is, I am stuck driving a 95' Land Rover Discovery with 130,000+ miles! Its a dog!

Do I get to be part of the "I killed an ECM" club? :D

Bentley

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
I had just stopped in the parking lot to do a quick re-flash, I let the truck run untill I was ready to flash it, shut it down and tired to flash it.

Well I just went out and tried it again, still doing the same thing. I hope that a new PCM is not to expencive!!

Kennedy - Tell me more about the Tech 2 fixing the PCM!?

Thanks everyone,
Bentley
I have a few "core" PCM's to which I could apply your stock tune. I could also make an attempt with yours. I've had pretty good success with recovering via Tech 2, but cannot make any promises. I've also been able to recover sometimes if there was a Predator with the tune backed up on it.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
You make a great point John. Just because you have been driving around doesn't mean your batteries are fully charged, you could have a battery starting to go south or a charging system problem that you are not arware of. It happened to me twice now while attempting to flash a calibration, got lucky, both times I was at home. Found out the hard way it easier to push a 7100lb truck after the drivetrain is fully warmed up. My neighbors thought I was practicing for the strong man competition!!! ):h

Guys, do yourself a favor and flash ONLY after the truck has been operated to full temp and battery charge, and do not attempt multiple successive flashes without adequate charging of the batteries. If you come out to a cold truck and try to flash you may end up locking up an ECM. Especially if you run your laptop from the vehicle electrical system.

A small charger on the batteries may help, but Ross would have to clear this for noise potential voltage sensitivity etc.

I think that a Tech 2 may be able to recover the PCM.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
I think EFILive can pull the chip and fix it too if all else fails.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Do I get to be part of the "I killed an ECM" club? :D

Bentley
You are the new ( and only) VP of the club!:muahaha:
Welcome aboard, and sorry to hear that your ECM is dead. Hope that you can get it up and running soon with low cost.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You are the new ( and only) VP of the club!:muahaha:
Welcome aboard, and sorry to hear that your ECM is dead. Hope that you can get it up and running soon with low cost.
Sweet! I am working on getting one right now, I am just trying to get my VIN # even though my truck is at home :eek: .

Bentley

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Sweet! I am working on getting one right now, I am just trying to get my VIN # even though my truck is at home :eek: .

Bentley
Got your insurance card in your wallet? My VIN is on there.;)

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My insurance care is half the size of a sheet of paper and stays with the truck (I would definentally loose it otherwise!!!). I thought of that, I think I am going to just call my insurance agent. Good idea though.

Bentley

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
I'm a little closer than John.

Let me know if I can help with getting you an ECM or recovering the old one.

Either way the EFILive team will get you up and running.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts