Diesel Place banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Am Looking For A 96 Pcm For 6.5td F Engine 4x4 Suburban. My Burb Is A 94 But I Believe I Can Use The 96 Pcm. Has Anyone Swapped Out There Pcm For A Newer One? Or Am I Chasing The Wind? The 96 And Newer Pcm's Are More Accessible For Scanner Purposes.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I Am Looking For A 96 Pcm For 6.5td F Engine 4x4 Suburban. My Burb Is A 94 But I Believe I Can Use The 96 Pcm. Has Anyone Swapped Out There Pcm For A Newer One? Or Am I Chasing The Wind? The 96 And Newer Pcm's Are More Accessible For Scanner Purposes.
Negative. 94 is OBD1 and 96 up is OBD2. Two totally different systems. Kinda like Tandy 1000 VS. Pentium 4. What are you trying to gain?

If scanner abilities are it, then your OBD1 is fine.

Your ECM is easy to upgrade...all you need is a prom replacement, unlike us OBD2 guys...we have to get a reflash for better performance. Changing a prom is much cheaper.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Actually, you can switch ECM's but you'd have to put the pins in a different order on the ECM connector, and If your '94 is an F engine the IP is a 5068 and will have to be changed for a '95+ ecm.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks For The Info. Im Not Sure What Pump Is On Mine It Has Been Changed But Probobly With Another 5068. I Would Have To Look At It. I Know The Tag On The Pump Isnt Readable Anymore. Is There AloT Of Wire Swapping To The Pins?

·
Registered
906 Posts
Not sure how many you'd have to swap but there are alot of wires in those connectors.

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
94 Suburban will be a 5521 or a pump in that series. The 5068 was used in F engines in 94 HD trucks(3500HD's and some 2500HD's). According to my checks with GM parts catalogs and a GM TSB regarding chips, all of the Suburbans used the 5521 series of pumps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts