Diesel Place banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The passenger side valve cover gasket is leaking onto the exhaust manifold from the center of it, Is there supposed to be a valve cover gasket, GM shows there is not one, so when I replaced the heads last time, I did not put them in, but the first time I had to replace the head gaskets I put valve cover gaskets in and they leaked. So is there supposed to be valve cover gasket or not. Also can this be done without removing the turbo and cold air intake. You guys got any tricks up your sleeve you would like to share? other wise the wheel wheel, exhaust manifold, the cold intake ( just so I can loosen the fuel lines at the IP), are coming off.. what a piss poor design though.. I would appreciate any advise or help on this Thank you

·
Ronald Reagan fan
5,124 Posts
I’ve had to do a few of those over the years but yes your better off getting the injector lines off altogether on that side to give you the room you need to get the cover off.I’ve used sealer before and it leaked as I did miss a very small area and so I had to redo it.

But I have used cork gaskets with a small amount of permatex ultra black applied to the cover first and then followed by the cork gasket held in place with those small plastic spring loaded clamps.I used maybe 5 or 6 clamps on it and left it to cure overnight and it’s worked well for the past 10+ years with no leaks.

You can do this with the turbo in place.

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
18,442 Posts
I hope it is ok to post from a competing forum:

If not, the mod can nuke it.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’ve had to do a few of those over the years but yes your better off getting the injector lines off altogether on that side to give you the room you need to get the cover off.I’ve used sealer before and it leaked as I did miss a very small area and so I had to redo it.

But I have used cork gaskets with a small amount of permatex ultra black applied to the cover first and then followed by the cork gasket held in place with those small plastic spring loaded clamps.I used maybe 5 or 6 clamps on it and left it to cure overnight and it’s worked well for the past 10+ years with no leaks.

You can do this with the turbo in place.
I was just thinking about what you said I can do this with the turbo in place, You maybe right I just have to remove the lines. I will look at it again.. Thanks

·
Ronald Reagan fan
5,124 Posts
I was just thinking about what you said I can do this with the turbo in place, You maybe right I just have to remove the lines. I will look at it again.. Thanks
👍

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I got the valve cover off what a job with my big hands..lol Good thing I did this, I found my injection pump just tangling there, two of the three nuts were just laying in the valley.. I am going to pull the oil fill tube and check the bolts inside there. I cant pull the pump out but I can move it up and down a little. I am hoping there is nothing wrong on the inside. from what I have read of this the bolts on the inside that you tighten through the oil fill tube hold this pump on too, so the way my mind works this pump should not move. correct even with the valley nuts missing.. All I know is it will be a cold day in hell before anyone ever touched this truck again besides me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts