Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife is always complaning that her seat belt is always locking up. Does anyone know how to fix the belt? I tried to duct tape her mouth to stop the complaning but that didn't work. so i need other options.

thanks Brian

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
When she pulls it out make sure she doesn't pull it all the way out and around her. Just pull it out enough to put it on. That will solve the problem.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think that will help because it will lock up at any time could be an hour down the road or 5 minutes. She will just be sitting there and try to move and it will lock up. thanks though.

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
Try it, that is the cause.

The only other reason it should lock up is if you brake really hard or the seat belt assembly is faulty.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I have the same problem with my passenger side seat belt!! The wife hates it.
thought i was the only one.:confused:

·
Registered
581 Posts
Tell them to SLOW down. If you try and lean forward to fast it will lock up.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Mine will lock without moving. Only way to fix this is to unbuckle and let it back into the seat. Then rebuckle and wait for it to happen again. I know it is hard to believe, dealer thinks we are crazy too.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Hmm, I would take out the retractor and see what's up.

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
I think you are pullling it out enough that it goes into "car/child seat" mode... otherwise theres a problem with the inertia reel mechanism

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Mine does the same thing. You have to move REALLY SLOW to stop it from locking up. Can't even lean forward without it locking. If I sat there all the time I'd be upset. I just ask the passenger if they would rather it NOT work...

Everytime I'm a passenger it ticks me off, luckily that's only once in a while.

however... I'm not married..:lol:

·
Registered
659 Posts
My wife complains about it all the time. I thought she was just being picky as she hates seat belts anyway. I never ride in that seat so I never paid much attention to her.

I thought I read somewhere that there was a recall on the seatbeat assembly.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I thought my wife was a complainer until I sat over there one day. It locks up all the time. Has anyone taken the retractor apart to see if something can be adjusted?

·
Registered
802 Posts
It has to be a design flaw. Is everyone who is experiencing this problem only noticing it on the passenger side?

I think i am going to tear into mine this weekend. ..... we need info.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My truck did the same thing, so I replaced the retractor. What a job that was, you have to remove the seat back upolstery and the frame backing (which is formed cardboard) to access the retractor. The retractor is not adjustable or repairable in any way. If it is bad you replace it. But guess what, the new retractor locks up on the passenger just like the original one did. I think that a seat belt extender might do the trick. They are available free of charge at any GM dealer.

·
Registered
802 Posts
what do you tell the dealer? to get this extender? for free?

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
its because only the passenger side has a "pull it all the way out and it locks" type deal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just go to the parts department and tell them that you would like some seatbelt extenders. You can usually get one for each seating position of the vehical they will be used in. They will ask for the application, possibly your vin and proof of ownership and then order them for you. And yes they are free!

·
Registered
802 Posts
COOL, THANKS.

So Why is it only the the front passenger seat that does it Ben? The rear two seats don't. Like i said before i thought i was the only one. now i find out there are others. and i know how pull it out to make it lock. thats why i have the cc. to haul kids.;)

·
Registered
802 Posts
ok, i think i understand. it has to do with the seat config on that seat compared to the others. and it is easier to pull it farther causing it to lock. even if you don't really pull it out that far....... right?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts