Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just out of warranty (39,000 miles) and the parking brake is not holding the truck on a hill. It will roll backwards easily on a hill. The last time I rotated the tires i noticed a small amount of oil residue on the hub, I thought somebody may have sprayed WD-40 during an earlier tire rotation but now I wonder if I have a seal leak.

How hard is it to pull the hubs and rotors to check the seals. I have the Helm manuals but I don't fully understand how the G80 axle hubs and axel shafts are assembled. Are the special tools in the Helm manual necessary and easy to buy?

Any body have a assembly diagram?

If the seals are leaking or the parking brake need adjustment is this a job I should attempt myself? I have done plenty work on bearings, hubs, brakes and have air tools. I just don't know if it is worth my time, I don't want to get partway into the job and not be able to finish. can any service station repair this problem, should I just go to the dealer?

Thanks,

Dave

Dave

·
Registered
11,646 Posts

Remove the 18mm bolts that hold the caliper bracket to the housing. Dont worry about the torx bolts.

Take the 19mm bolts out that hold the axle to the hub

Note the gasket, it can be reused if not damaged

The orange clip is a orange clip and retains a pin that goes into the top of the spindle, its got a groove in it and the nut has notches also, the pin keeps the nut from moving and the orange ring retains the pin

Yuk, thats why the ebrake dont work

New seal

Edited by: dmaxalliTech

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
It was awful nice of you to go rip your truck apart just to show this guy how to his own.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Eric, Thanks for the pictures! Much better seeing the real thing then the Helm manual!

Just a few more questions:

Do I need a special tool to remove/install the nut?

Are the bearings lubricated by the axle gear lube or are they packed with grease?

I assume that if they are lubed from the gear lube I need to drain the axle first?

If the brake shoes are oil covered I guess they can't be cleaned, right?

Is one brand of seal better quality than the OEM seal?

Thanks for the assist!

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
good q's, sorry I didnt answer them. The nut does use a special socket, but I use a punch. its not that tight. There is notches around the outside of the nut and a punch fits right in , just make sure you get it tightend properly, thats where a socket is nice, with out it, you have to be real carefull to make sure the bearigns are seated. The bearings are lubed with rear fluid, you dont have to drain it, you will loose about a cup. Just top it back off. I use the oem seal, i dont even know if there is an aftermarket seal avail. I use a good degreaser and clean the shoes, they are hard enough and there is not enough heat on them to absorb the oil. I have had no problems cleaning them.

"It was awful nice of you to go rip your truck apart just to show this guy how to his own.
"

its funny, my left rear seal is leaking too!

·
Registered
363 Posts
How many months have you had your truck? How is your local dealer? If you are a good customer, and you are within the 36 months, the dealer might get it done as "goodwill". Might be worth a shot unless you feel more comfortable with your own work.

·
Registered
444 Posts
dmaxalliTech -

Outstanding post! Thanks!

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
But yet my brake still sucks ...... I've had the seals replaced all new linings and e-brake serviced .... Peddle still goes right to the floor wouldn't hold back a 2LB bag of turd ,if it tried,useless .... Now what ?

Mac

·
Registered
78 Posts
Wow, good stuff. I have been having the same problem with mine and wasn't sure quite how to fix it. I kept looking at the cable and couldn't figure out how I was going to tighten it. I will have to try this when I get home and see if it works for me. But, like Mackin said, if that doesn't work, what next?

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
My dealer says (second time I complained) that it passes ..... Has to hold truck in neutral ..... I assure you if I was parked on a grade with a 5K trailer up to maximum,it would be all parking paw holding it back .....

I awaiting a responce from Eric on a DIY cable tightning .... If it's a no go then I'm trying a different dealer .....

My buddies 02 dually goes half way to the floor and holds great !!!!!!!!

Mac

·
Registered
473 Posts
Mackin,

The problem has to be with the adjustment of the Parking Brake Cable adjustment. I have seen this a lot. You can see part of the cable under the cab on the left side of the pickup. I haven’t adjusted one in a few years but it is pretty straight forward. Take a look at it you will probably see how to adjust the cable. From the looks of the pictures dmaxalliTech has there is also a star wheel adjuster on the brake assembly. My parking brake will hold on a 6% grade with the tranny in neutral. I am sure someone here has a service manual they could copy some pictures for you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts