Diesel Place banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know powdercoating will be more durable than painting on wheels. I am looking to keep cost down though, as $200 for powdercoating kinda removes the savings associated with take-offs.

Has anybody painted wheels and how did they hold up under what kind of usage.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Under normal driving road conditions, paint holds up fine. Under heavy winter cinder, snow, gravel, and genuine road crap conditions, paint nor chrome nor polished aluminum or alloy hold up. Powdercoating holds up fairly well under those tough conditions, but speedliner (like Linex) is the only thing that holds up under the worst conditions IF it is properly applied.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
I used to have painted wheels on my S-10 back in the day, lots of even coats of primer, paint, and clear. They would hold up pretty good, get a chip in them once in awhile from anti-skid in the witnter time. I always had them sandblasted first, steel wheels of course.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm looking at doing this to a set of H2's I have a line on for real cheap. I'm thinking if I rattle can them, I can touch them up if they do get dinged. Maybe I'll just polish them and apply a coat of Zoop aluminum sealant instead. These wheels are going to be seeing more than there fair share of dirt and gravel by the way. They will not be seeing any appreciable amount of snow or ice though.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
A buddy of mine painted his. They look better painted IMO because of the glossy affect. I will paint mine one of these days.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Powdercoating is the best. Get them acid dipped to remove everything (cheap at a semi truck tire place) and take them to an industrial powdercoaters. Just have them run them the next time they are running some semi-gloss black wrought iron or mailbox posts. Make sure to tell him you are not really in any hurry. They will do it cheap because they do not have to jack around with sandblasting and setting up for a special color. $50 -$75 bucks for all 4

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
flat black makes trucks look tuff a friend of mine painter his rims black on his toy with 33's and it made the truck look a lot better to me

·
Registered
109 Posts
Powdercoating is a waste of money. Had my 3500 rims sandblasted and powdercoated. After a year of two, the powdercoating got stone chips and rusted. Just got sims -- much better on a dually.

On a 2500 HD, I would guess you could find some take-off PY0s (factory aluminum wheels) for $200 if you look.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
I have often thought about having my oem aluminum rims and bumpers powdercoated flat black (I like the industrial look) but I too wondered if they would hold up, especially around the hub and lugs...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts