Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can the OEM textured fender flares be painted?? I did a search and got conflicting reports. I saw a white dually that has his textured flares painted, but how is it done? I have mine up for sale, but would rather get them painted if i can. Thanks.

Russ

·
Registered
93 Posts
Duramaxdad said:
Can the OEM textured fender flares be painted?? I did a search and got conflicting reports. I saw a white dually that has his textured flares painted, but how is it done? I have mine up for sale, but would rather get them painted if i can. Thanks.

Russ

Russ:
As with any paint work.. Its all in the prep.. Instead of the conventional prep methods you must clean the flairs first with a plastic cleaner (since its raw textured plastic) After that you clean/sand the flairs w/ a red (3m 07747) or grey (3m 07448) scotch bright pad with the same cleaner. You must be carefull not to over sand since you will/can remove some of the texture. After your done rinse it with water and dry. Apply a coat or two of a plastic primer and topcoat. Best bet would be to follow what ever paint manufacturers procedures for painting plastic and you should be fine. Do you want to keep the textured or do you want the texture removed?

Anyone tells you that the paint wont stick has no idea what they are doing. Any high quality bodyshop should be able to paint the flairs without any problems.

·
Registered
362 Posts
If you can deal with the texture showing up in the paint then why couldn't you just clean them with Prep Sol or something, spray them with adhesion promoter, base coat of factory color, then clear coat them? Take a little time and wet sand between coats.

·
Registered
93 Posts
03GMC:
"THE" most important thing is prepping and cleaning of the plastic. If you used a typical solvent based cleaner such as a prep-sol then you will just create more problems.. That will just pull more release agent from the plastic and will cause adheasion problems later.

After applying a plastic primer/adheasion promoter you really need to apply a urethane sealer. That aids in adheasion and creates a thicker film build which in turn is a cushion for the basecoat. Flex additives must also be used in the sealer and clearcoat. Always follow the instructions for what ever paint system you use. I do NOT recommend any "spray can" producs found at the typical auto parts stores either... And as for sanding between coats... If you decide to do that you need to be carefull not to sand too far and break through to the texture and back down to the raw plastic. Now if you want to remove the texture then you need to make sure its taken care of BEFORE you start applying your top coats...

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies fellas. Looks like i will keep them, as I have a pretty good body shop that is close by. Hope it wont cost an arm and a leg. But then again, it will probably be cheaper than buying new painted ones. Thanks again.

Russ

·
Registered
93 Posts
Russ:
I talked to a friend of mine over the weekend.. and depending on the dealership in your area, you could get a set color coded to your truck. I know on the mid-late 90's trucks you could get the flairs as a set cheaper than buying all four flairs seperately. (I know its odd.. but thats GM for ya) They are sold as accessory items instead of replacement. So ask the parts manager or counter guy at your local GM dealer... may be worth a phone call.

If not........ any decent bodyshop should be able to paint them for you...

Good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts