Diesel Place banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone painted the black filler plastic piece that is between the grill and bumper on GMC's? Is it easy to remove?

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
Can't remove it its part of the grill on the HDs I want to paint it or something.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
I thought someone said you could remove it if you work the tabs that hold it to the grill with a heat gun?....

I too either want to paint it or have it chromed....

·
Banned
720 Posts
would be a high price to pay if you broke it trying to take it apart just tape the grill up then paint it just use the flex primer and sealer and the paint that matches you truck you should not have a problem

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
minisub;1589388; said:
I thought someone said you could remove it if you work the tabs that hold it to the grill with a heat gun?....

I too either want to paint it or have it chromed....
I haven't done it, but I have seen it done. It's on the list... :rolleyes:

I think it will be better body color, as it wraps around and would blend better between the bumper cover and fender.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Moving the bumper up is on the list for this spring...... I am using some billet spacers.

Dino, how much of a PITA was it to do....?

·
Registered
564 Posts
It was a huge frikkin production. There is some cutting and modifiying of mounts that has to be done.You lose your tow hooks, and part of your frame. Just make sure you measure twice cut once! Then be sure and have a steady hand when you cut the filler piece off. LOL.:rolleyes:

nelsduramax;1589765; said:
Moving the bumper up is on the list for this spring...... I am using some billet spacers.

Dino, how much of a PITA was it to do....?

·
Registered
633 Posts
I've been studying this thing for a while now. Did you just drill new holes for the side bars (2 bolt connection)?

·
Premium Member
4,986 Posts
I am painting the filler piece this morning. will try to post pics along the way. I have to paint my daughters mirrors and spoiler on her lexus so I figured since the paint is flying and the mess is happening might just as well get er done!

·
Registered
564 Posts
I actually made a custom bracket to mount the bumper support I really didn't feel like drilling after all the cutting, fitting, moving, fitting and painting I had to do!

nelsduramax;1590116; said:
I've been studying this thing for a while now. Did you just drill new holes for the side bars (2 bolt connection)?

·
Premium Member
4,986 Posts
floriduramax1;1600345; said:
I am painting the filler piece this morning. will try to post pics along the way. I have to paint my daughters mirrors and spoiler on her lexus so I figured since the paint is flying and the mess is happening might just as well get er done!
Got it done and I love it: P.S. had to put pics of dog he was helping me...lol

Attachments

·
Registered
299 Posts
What did you use for primer and paint??

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
Cool thanks for the pics... arent dogs great! LOL

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
looks good. So did you take the filler pc. off?

·
Premium Member
4,986 Posts
DuramaxEric;1602572; said:
What did you use for primer and paint??
I used a special soap and scrubbed it with a red scotch bright pad. We use a very expensive paint process where I work called Standox. I took the 3 piece chrome shell off and did all the work. The hardest part was reassembling the shell as the tabs pretty much melt off. With a heat gun, set to kill, silicone and jb weld for the tabs its doable. The results are awesome. Next I will paint the 6.6 letters on the silencer with red and the Duramax letters on silencer silver, the fuse cover silver and AFE cover silver. Some may not like it but I do.
I forgot to mention the adhesion promoter/primer system

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Wow, looks very good. How hard to remove the chrome pieces from the grill? Did you melt it off? How about reassembly? I'm doing this for sure!! TIA

·
Premium Member
4,986 Posts
Dr_goodwrench66;1603837; said:
Wow, looks very good. How hard to remove the chrome pieces from the grill? Did you melt it off? How about reassembly? I'm doing this for sure!! TIA
Yes I used a good heat gun and bent/melted plastic tabs. You have to be very careful not to over heat or melt the part of the grill that you are painting and will see. Take your time!!! I used black rtv silicone on the shell and JB weld on the tabs that were half azz destroyed. It came out awesome. I think all trucks should come from factory this way. I like it better than the bling of after market grilles (no offense meant toward any ones grille ) jmho.....

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Cool, thanks...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts