Diesel Place banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about painting the chrome grille surround on my truck...I know GM makes a factory grille with the surround painted black (Wasted Income has one on his truck and IMO it looks awesome) but I dont know if I could justify the cost... Would it be possible to paint the stock chrome ring around my grille BLACK? THen I could put on a billet grille or something... I dont want to put a billet grille on now with the grille as-is...too much chrome-:t But I think with a black grille surround, it would look kinda cool..

--ben

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Sure it's possible Ben...Then again, it's also possible to rebuild a transmission without breaking the bellhousing...):h

What you would want to do is to scuff the chrome. (You need a surface that the paint can "bite" into. I would imagine you could do this with 400-600 grit sandpaper. Once scuffed, prime the area and paint it.. :)

·
Registered
11,311 Posts
Ben, I agree with you. Too much chrome for me too. I did see a pic of someone's here that was gloss black and it looked awesome. I actually priced it at they said about 250 bucks. Hell, I could take it off, sand it down real good and spray paint it....I dont want it to look ghetto though.

·
Premium Member
20,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sure it's possible Ben...Then again, it's also possible to rebuild a transmission without breaking the bellhousing...):h
hey hey eaasssyyy!! Lets not bring back any recent memories...the trans isnt in the truck YET (tomorrow morning)...we dont need to jinx anything!!:)

:joke: thanks Partsguy...I might look into that... (scruffing the chrome I mean, not dropping the trans--been there done that):h )

Unit453-- I actually considered that! I think I seriously might do that to my lower front air dam. I hate the GRAY and im not about to pay for a black 2006 front air dam. Im just gonna spray paint it...it gets all the rocks from the road anyway, id hate to put some effort into painting it then to have it chip!

·
Registered
11,311 Posts
Paint chips brother. Thats what happens. I hate it. At least you dont have rust forming on your chrome bumper after 3 months of winter so far. 3 years I'd expect but 3 months, I'm a bit discusted.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
ben I can get them fairly cheap let me know ,I am doing one soon

·
Registered
446 Posts
I was contemplating the same thing for the grill on my truck since I have yet to find a paintable denali grill shell. The best idea I have came up with so far is media blasting it before paint. I think it just might work to get all the fake plastic chrome off but I will let you guinea pig the idea first if you want!):h

·
Registered
870 Posts
ben I can get them fairly cheap let me know ,I am doing one soon
CAP, are you saying you can get the lower valence in BLACK for a decent price? If so, I want one!! :ro)

Oh, and here's a visual aid for y'all ):h

·
Registered
11,311 Posts
Damn, that looks awesome. Someone here posted a pic of their GMC with the same thing done...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts