Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was shopping for a 2500HD truck ...I got everything I wanted when i bought mine except I wanted it in Black.
So over 4 years later...I finally painted it myself using Summit Racing Equipments "Hot Rod Satin Black" single stage Acrylic Urethane paint.
took me about 60 hours of sanding and prepping. Cost...$350 in materials
I also added smoked headlights and smoked marker lights
Still need to install the rear fender flares...I ran out of 3M tape

First pic is the day i bought it
Second pic is how it looked for about 3 years
and after paint :D

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Very nice. Looks like it laid down nicely.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
i like it, nice job

·
Registered
21 Posts
very nice job man hope it holds up great

·
Registered
931 Posts
Im stuck on the fence about doing the matte black on my c-3500... I really like it, but I like a shine too.
Yours is sinister cool looking. I would call it an S.S. for Sinister Silverado.

·
Just Horsing Around
17,557 Posts
Saweeeeeettttt. Wanna do mine?? :)

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Did you have a paint booth or just did it in the shop?

It looks great!

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Wow, great job!!! Are those the same wheels as in the second pic just painted? What kind are they?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ain't nothin' wrong with that. Good job!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks Everyone !!!

Did you have a paint booth or just did it in the shop?

It looks great!
I painted it in my home shop. I will post some pics

looks great! different subject, lol, did you do the cab lights yourself?
Yes, they are Recon lights that I installed myself

Wow, great job!!! Are those the same wheels as in the second pic just painted? What kind are they?
Yeah same wheels as the silver pic. They are Diamo 17 Karat 18x10 they are just plasti-dipped right now...I plan on painting them with the Hot Rod Black in a few months

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I painted it all...jambs and everything.
Its single stage paint with activator. I scuffed the factory paint, wiped it down, taped it up and shot it. Did it all in my home garage. I have painted hoods, spoilers, engine bays, and underside of cars (show cars) but never a whole vehicle..much less a huge ass truck!! LOL
Here are some pics of the process

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
That looks great! Im impressed. How did you rig up your garage for spraying? Im curious how you got the overspray dealt with. Id love to do this to mine. Nice work.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That looks great! Im impressed. How did you rig up your garage for spraying? Im curious how you got the overspray dealt with. Id love to do this to mine. Nice work.
I pretty much just sprayed it like you see. I covered my cabinets and TV with plastic sheets. The only thing that I didnt do...but should have was cover the floor with some plastic sheets. I had a TON of overspray on my epoxy floor !! But I used some engine degreaser and a mop and it all came up with some scrubbing.
THanks for your compliments!

·
Registered
12 Posts
im thinking about installing the recon cab lights on my truxk. i just wasnt sure with the wiring and drilling since I dont have factory cab lights lol.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Dirty!!!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Wanna do mine next?

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
great job. was wondering how you got in between the bed and cab? or is it still silver?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Good job, looks great

1 - 20 of 40 Posts