Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't figure this out for the life of me. Some trucks have painted fender flairs some have black. I have seen every combination of truck with painted flairs and some without.

What determines if the fender flairs are painted or not? Is it an option? I have a white GMC SLT with painted white flairs. I see most white trucks have black flairs. Whats the deal?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Don't all GMC SLE's and SLT's have white painted fender flares? I thought that was the norm on GMC's, but on Chevy's (prior to '03) they were all black.

cadman_ks

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I have seen GMC's with black, unless this flu is really getting to me.

Are you talking just white trucks?

·
Registered
351 Posts
My 01 GMC SLT has white flares. My 01 Chevy 3500 LS had black but I had my black ones painted white to match. Turned out real good.

Close view. They are almost smooth and hardly show any texture after being painted.

·
Registered
361 Posts
My '04 is the new Silver Birch color SLT. The Flares are painted. Looks nicer than the black. Hopefully the paint will hold up well as I spend a lot of time in the woods.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
It is an option.... And it is a free option... It is call bright side body moldings..... Some colors have it automatically. When i ordered my truck I went step by step with the dealer and he told me they never ordered one with that.... and it sounded nice to me so I ordered it and whalla, white fender flares. Since then that dealer only orders BSBM for trucks on the lot. Check it out....

·
Registered
46 Posts
In 2003 it depends on the color of the truck. Green, white, pewter and carbon came painted to match the truck, other color trucks got them black. This is for GMC, I think chevy is the same.

·
Registered
754 Posts
My Black 03 LT came with black plastic, a freinds Pewter 03 LS came with painted, his looks better .

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
PERSONALLY, I think they look better painted. I am surprised the general doesn't paint them all. Thanks for the info ISurvivedNMU, thats what I was wanting to know.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I just bought a 2004 Chevy crew Cab and the flares are black. The color is Arrival Blue. Wow pretty truck, but I am going to have them painted.

What about the crappy wheels. MAn you would think a 50,000 truck would have nicer wheels.

·
Registered
242 Posts
To me it depends on the color. I originally wanted pewter to match the Yukon XL, but ended up with a Red CC because it looked nice. It had black fender flares, and I like that because most of the options I put on are black. Oval steps, black powdercoat, black bed cover over black Line-X. You see where I'm going with this.
Now, if we could only get homelink from the factory instead of 370.00 aftermarket.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
For a couple of years U could order the flare color (body or black) but now if u look in the book they have them set to body color.

Hired gun if u want I'll dispose of those wheels for u.

I like my blue 03 but can't find an 04 on the lots so I've opened my choice up to everything but pewter.

Any one have the 04 sport red tell me the flare color, buypower shows red on GMC and black on Chevy.

I don't have time to get to a dealer to look it up.

·
Registered
42 Posts
All the LS and LT trucks have painted fender flares. The base trucks like work trucks have black. But the painted one are not painted. Which ever color they are is the color of the plastic. So when it gets chiped by a rock you can't tell it by looking at it. Because if they were painted I was going to take them off.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jared83 said:
All the LS and LT trucks have painted fender flares. The base trucks like work trucks have black. But the painted one are not painted. Which ever color they are is the color of the plastic. So when it gets chiped by a rock you can't tell it by looking at it. Because if they were painted I was going to take them off.

Not true. I have without a doubt seen trucks with leater and black fender flairs on various colors.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Max,

Ever wonder why some trucks have chrome license plate lights and some have black? It doesn't have anything to do with LS/LT either apparently.

·
Registered
958 Posts
GMC's have chrome license plate lights and Chevies have black ones.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Never really noticed about the license plate lights. I don't see many chevys around here though. Mostly GMC's because of the dealers around here.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Jared83 said:

my 03 pewter flares are painted, as I suspect they all are. My brother scraped mine with his truck elk hunting and took off enough paint to know they are black underneath

1 - 20 of 27 Posts