Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what you guys think of about this. I plan on a new exhaust soon and was thinking what if I painted the exhaust black. I found a high temp paint, good for 1500 degrees that's used on exhausts and engines. keep it black like the underbody so it's kinda hidden.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Its a good idea i guess. I dont know how well it would hold up.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
I was thinking about doing the same thing to my next exhaust system that I get. I have heard it really helps keep it from getting all crudded up from all the nice salt and calcium chloride they throw on the road. Wouldnt look half bad either if you painted it black I dont think.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I like the idea, let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
not to rip on your idea its sounds good, i just never had much luck with heat resistant paint, just my 2 cents

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm skeptical on the high heat paint too, used some on my buddy's headers for his v-8 and they didn't stay black but paint was only for 800 degrees. But I'm definately going to give it a try after some more consideration.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I've had pretty good luck with the high temp paint on my racecar header. Just make sure you don't buy the cheap stuff. VHT or nothing.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I painted the 4" exhaust on my dodge cummins when I had it. Painted from about the middle of the truck back to the tip. It looked a lot better and held up great. Obviously that is not the hottest part of the exhaust either.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I have my 5 inch painted black with the high temp paint. It has been on for 4 months so far. the only spot i see that needs some touch up is directly behind the wheel but that only happened after the salt was on the roads. No big deal ill touch it up in the spring or put a tip on it

·
Registered
141 Posts
great idea my aftermarket exhaust is not lookin too good after the calcium and salt...let me know how it goes (what kind of paint and where can u get it?)

·
Registered
924 Posts
MADDIESEL;1587950; said:
Just wondering what you guys think of about this. I plan on a new exhaust soon and was thinking what if I painted the exhaust black. I found a high temp paint, good for 1500 degrees that's used on exhausts and engines. keep it black like the underbody so it's kinda hidden.
move down south and dont worry about snice or salt corrision.

·
Registered
209 Posts
i painted my exhaust with the 1500 degree paint, and it has help up well for the last 8 months. 5 inch takes alot of cleaning and prep though, the exhaust i got was covered with oil from the manufacturing process. i looks good imho.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Of course, we don't have salt down here on the roads, but I painted the exhaust on my 01 LB7 (straight-piped Kennedy 5") and it has held up great. So good that I didn't even consider getting a s/s system on my new LBZ and instead did the same on the aluminized MBRP 5" (except for the last foot or so, which I polished). I just used BBQ black paint from ACE hardware. I don't think that a cat-less exhaust system is that hot on a diesel once you are a few feet down stream from the turbo.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.