Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this normal or does it sound like I am getting it too hot?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
bcserl;1590944; said:
Is this normal or does it sound like I am getting it too hot?
Normal, does the same with the Dodges and Fords. I painted mine ones and replaced it with the MAG-HYTEC differential cover. Expensive, but sure does look nicer.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Have you ever changed the fluid in it??

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't changed the fluid yet. I think I may do that soon and get the Mag-Hytec cover for increased fluid capicity.

Anyone have any gear oil recommendations? Do I need any friction modifier?

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
IMHO
That is your problem. Pull the fill plug and check the oil. I'll bet that it's full of metal. The gears have a break-in period. During that process they deposit a lot of material into the oil. They also heat-up a lot.
I drove my truck for 500 miles lots of short trips, but long enough to get everything up to temp (heat cycles). Then I towed my trailer to work and on some short trips when possible. Once I had another 500 miles of towing I changed the oil in the rear. It was very gray when it came out, not gray from water, but gray from the gears breaking in. Last I checked, I had 40,000 miles and the oil still looked like it did when I put it in. I use Mobil 1.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I would check the fluid level. My 1/2 ton did that, and I had the shop check, and it was 1/2 quart low. They filled it, and it hasn't gotten any worse. I am sure it was low from the factory. The dealers are supposed to check them, but they don't.

·
Registered
626 Posts
In my opinion the paint pealing is a sign of too much heat. I could be wrong but with 8 qts in the Mag-Hytec heat is never a problem now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts