Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my new rig yesterday and everything looked fine, till I got it home and under some lights. Went over the paint and body with a fine tooth comb and found a flaw. On the hood, there seems to be a reddish orange spec under the paint popping through. Anyone else have something like this? I have read aboutpoor quality paint etc. just wondering if it is common.

·
Registered
446 Posts
My 2001 2500HD had many small and not so small imperfections. I never had them fixed because I was worried that the color wouldn't match up or something else wouldn't be right with the repaint. My current 2003 paint is pretty much flawless.

·
Registered
2 Posts
my 2004 also has a paint flaw. I'm not going to have it fixed either. my 99 z71 had paint repairs done by the dealership, and they looked like crap.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
DSTRBD said:
I picked up my new rig yesterday and everything looked fine, till I got it home and under some lights. Went over the paint and body with a fine tooth comb and found a flaw. On the hood, there seems to be a reddish orange spec under the paint popping through. Anyone else have something like this? I have read aboutpoor quality paint etc. just wondering if it is common.

Your truck is white....

You have "Rail Dust". Metal from the brakes of the trains gets imbedded in the paint, the orange you see is rust.

The only way to get it out and end your problems is to clay bar it.

What you described is exactly what was on my Arctic White Corvette and the clay bar took care of the problem.

Go to www.zainostore.com and look at their products.

Edited by: HD-Nate

·
Registered
22 Posts
Have had my 04 GMC3500 CC 4x4 D/A for just about a month. I did the same when I got it home, I went over it with a fine tooth comb and found 3 areas where there was dirt in the paint, the right front fender and hood and 2 places on the passenger side door where there appeared to be no paint at all, not very big but I think a $50,000.00 truck should have a better paint job. It also had General tires on it and I paid another $365.00 to have Michelins put on before I drove it off the lot. I called GMC customer service and registered a complaint and they said to take it back to the dealer and have it repainted and I said that is not acceptable especially on a sun bearing surface. As for the tires, sorry bout my luck.

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HD-Nate- I plan on giving it the clay bar treatment, but this piece is under the paint, poking out. If you get at the right angle, you can see that it was painted over. I do see alot of rail dust, that crap is hard to get off!

·
Registered
479 Posts
I have had the SAME problem with BOTH of my trucks. I bought a 2004 that was built july '03, got it home and saw that the paint was FULL of dirt and junk. So I complained to the dealer and they said that I could return it or order a new one... (after quite a bit of discussion) so I decided to order a new one...

Well I just got my new one a few weeks ago and looked at it closely and it STILL has lots of junk in the paint, but not quite as much as the first one I had. Both of them are white, and I am dissapointed, but do I insist on another new one or?? I don't see how they can let a $47K vehicle out the door with that quality problems. I really don't know what to do about this all. There is even one BLACK speck under the clear coat on the hood.

The other car I have is a 2002 VW and they had the paint FLAWLESS like glass... and that was a $20K car...

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am with you newguy. Its a bunch of BS, but whaddya do? I am taking mine in and having them fix it. I am not returning it cause I love the truck, it just makes me sick to see that little flaw.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
DSTRBD said:
HD-Nate- I plan on giving it the clay bar treatment, but this piece is under the paint, poking out. If you get at the right angle, you can see that it was painted over. I do see alot of rail dust, that crap is hard to get off!

Hmm, well hopefully the clay bar will cure it. I could actualy feel some fo the rail dust on my Vette so the clay bar MAY pull it out???

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
DSTRBD,

Yes, have them fix the painted over piece done right!!

As far as the "rail dust" issue, have the dealer do the clay bar detail. That's what my dealer did for mine and it looks great now.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Another paint flaw!!!

The paint chips to damn easy!

Looks like there is only two if that coats on the body. Only 4,500mile and chips all over the place.

And NO!!!! I hate the way mud flaps look on my trucks!

So one day I am going to have to reapint the bottom have of the rig.

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
HD-Nate- The flaw I want them to fix would actually leave a hole in the paint when removed. I will let them take care of that, then I will clay bar the whole truck.

·
Registered
326 Posts
It must be just the Generals way of cutting a few more corners -- there's so much crap painted on my truck that it looks like they sprayed it in the parking lot. On a windy day!
Truly shameful, if you ask me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts