Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a wreck in my truck a few weeks ago and insurance is gonna pay to have the whole truck repainted. I talked to my paint and body man today and told him I wanted to add some pearl to the new paint. We talked about pearl colors to add, he said he thinks blue would look best.. my truck is charcoal gray.. What do you guys think I really have no idea I just like the pearlized look.. I think blue might be cool.. he said he would mix some up and holler at me and paint a test strip. Any ideas other ideas??

thanks

tanner

·
Registered
23 Posts
The only negative to adding the pearl to the paint is it will be harder to match if you ever get a scratch or dent. I don;t know how much the pearl will show up in the dark charcoal. It shows up a little more in lighter brighter colors.

I don't know why the whole truck needs painting, but I always tell my customers, don't paint anything that doesn't need to be painted. The more you build up the thickness, the less durable it is. Sometimes you have to paint more than you want for color match reasons.

If you do change the color formula, be sure and have the painter write down the new formula and any special procedures, so it can be matched in the future.

Steve

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
That's going to be a lot of work if it done right. Are they/you planning to do all the door jams, under the hood, etc.?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The truck is all being repainted because I went through a fence and a bunch of trees it is scratched from front to rear all over.

He isnt gonna change the color exactly, just add a hint of pearl to the OE paint code. I am sure he doesnt plan on painting every single part of the truck.. door jams, underhood, ect.. as this would be unnecessary..

·
Registered
91 Posts
Adding pearl isn't going to do what you think it is. If you add blue, it is just going to make the color more blue. White is really the only color that gets the pearl look.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like you guys think this is a bad idea..lol ohh well I will let him paint a test strip an look and see what i think.

·
Registered
363 Posts
If I can offer one bit of advice. I don't care what color you paint your truck, but I have been a high end auto detailer for nearly 20 years. Take everything apart. De-trim everything you possibly can. anything that gets the edge taped off is gonna eventually give you trouble, and it won't look right at the edge anyway. Emblems, door handles, rubber window surrounds, weatherstripping . . . Take it off before any paint or bodywork. I hope everything comes out as nice as you hope it does.

Gar

·
Registered
129 Posts
That should look pretty good. White isn't the only color that gets a pearl look. I've done a few just for fun that turned out good. One was a Kawasaki Ninja that I painted Gunmetal Grey with a violet pearl in it. As many curves and edges were on the plastic the pearl look great out in the sun.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Never done my any dark colors like my current truck, problably the same color as yours. But the lighter colors show the pearl better. A dark color will need a heavier mix of pearl to show as well. I think it will give it that different look you may be looking for but just now as stand out ish.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well my paint man painted the roof today and called me and I went down to check it out. It was bad ass he went over the charcoal gray with dark blue pearl.... but I cant do it because the change is too dramatic and the door jams and all the other spots that are not gonna be painted are still gray. So he is gonn sand it off, and try to replace some of the purple color in the paint code with blue pearl and paint me a test strip to look at.

It would look awesome, but I dont have the extra money to spend to have it ALL painted..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts