Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being as that there aren't any posts in here, I figure I would start this one off...

Been thinking about getting one of those roll-n-lock tonneau covers for my truck. It looks like Summit Racing has started carrying these as well. Are they worth the $800-1000?? Do they survive in the winter with snow on them?? From what I gather, the two I know of are Retrax and Pace Edwards. Are there others, or is there one in particular that I should go for?

Thanks,

Bob

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
I don't know much about the Roll and Lock. I have seen my fair share of Pace Edwards and I would stay away from them personally. Retrax is where it is at. I have had 3 personally and we have sold tons of them to date. I have only had one failure out of probably close to 100. They were very good about there warranty. I highly recommend retrax. And yes they work very well in the winter. It seems like all we get here is winter

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have to agree with Max Power, I've had my Retraxx for 8 months (including 1 Michigan winter) & I like it more all the time. Worth every penny of the price.

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
One more thing. Retrax has a new look for their Gen III's. They no longer have that rise at the front. The cover is now all completely flush. Except the long boxes which still use the old design.

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
You can buy from the manufacturer www.rolltopcover.com or from JK http://www.kennedydiesel.com If neither of those work out for you I am a dealer for retrax too. The reason I recommend the others to you is because I am in Canada so the shipping would be a bit more.Edited by: Max Power

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the Pace-Edwards for 1 1/2 years. The locking mechanism keeps sticking to where I need to spray a lubricant in it. Not much fun stepping on the brakes and have your cover roll up on you. Also, twice I have had to clean the side rails with alcohol and greae them. Keep getting road dust in there and the cover binds. When I get the $$$ together, I'm going to replace it with a Roll-N-Lock.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info guys! I am hoping to purchase at the Sportsman show in March as there is a local vendor that stated he would give me a good deal. If not I'll go with JK. Maybe by next year the Bilstein's will be more plentiful and I can get those at the same time!!

Thanks again for all the replies and experiences!!

Bob

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
bybycop said:
Since I have the short bed do you know if a sportsman 500 4x4 will still fit?

Most likely not. I haven't had one in but the cover shortens the box by at least a foot. The bumper might be high enough to clear it but I still think the tailgate would have to be open. If you measure the overall length I could tell you if it would fit or not.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Max Power,

How much of the bed rail does the Retrax "rail" cover? I have tie downs in my stake pockets and cannot find pictures anywhere that show this information. I need to be certain they will still work with the cover installed.

I need a cover of this type, but cannot live without the tie downs.

Thanks

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
I'll wash it tonight or tomorrow and take some pics

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
Blinky said:
Max Power,

How much of the bed rail does the Retrax "rail" cover? I have tie downs in my stake pockets and cannot find pictures anywhere that show this information. I need to be certain they will still work with the cover installed.

I need a cover of this type, but cannot live without the tie downs.

Thanks

On the front it only covers aboue 1/4 of the stake pocket and on the back about 1/2. You can order it with the stake pockets cut out from retrax.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Max Power,

Excellent news
Thanks for the info............

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
In case you guys are interested...

I am a dealer in the US for retrax
$799 GM Shortbed $899 GM Longbed
Don't forget to ask about free accessories

I have yet to see anyone cheaper.

There is more info on this in the group buys section.
Edited by: pepperidge

·
Registered
7,190 Posts
Hey guys I would urge everyone to take advantage of vendor offers, very soon a Vendor Only Forum will be up and running and our hope is it will be a ONE-STOP-SHOPPING.

GMC

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Your sportsman will fit just fine if you get a Louisiana Guard Dog . Besides, it's a lot safer transporting your atv around with one. Not to mention it prevents theft of the atv and your aluminum ramps.

A little reminder:

Don't forget to check out the retrax covers in the group buy section.

PepperidgeEdited by: pepperidge

·
Registered
819 Posts
I have a Roll n lock. I don't like the amount of water that get's into the tailgate area. I have only had one problem due to a screw coming loose. I would probably go with the Retrax since I have heard it is water tight.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts