Diesel Place banner

461 - 463 of 463 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #461
Alright guys, I have not posted in a few months so I'll let you know where I'm at. While battling a couple of performance injection pumps last fall I discovered that the guy that did my head work as far as the valve seat modification for the larger 6.2 valves did a very shitty job. Learn a lesson from my mistake, I will never install a motor before doing a leak down test and run compression before installing the engine, no matter how good a reputation the builder or machinist has. Since I was forced to remove the engine to redo the valve seats I am now rebuilding a P400 with 119 miles on it. So I have enlisted the help of Chris with Twisted Steel Performance to work his magic on my heads and my pistons. I will also be having the rotating assembly balanced by a local engine builder. I also intend on installing a complete new set of Total Seal rings. Since the engine is apart I will be installing all new bearings on the bottom end. Which brings me to a question I ask you guys, should I use the stock GM main bearings or go with something like Clevite main bearings? Since the rod bearings are I believe specific to the P400 I will be using GEP rod bearings. This damn truck has seemed to be the bottomless money pit from hell but hopefully I will end up with a nice running engine. (one would think right) So feel free to give me opinions on main bearings for the build.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been told by Unique Diesel that the P400's have dimensionally identical bearings but the metallurgy is slightly different. They have the AMG part #.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,164 Posts
Genuine GM bearings are probably better than the Clevite brand.I’m pretty sure the GM bearings have a thicker babbit layer than aftermarket bearings.I was able to purchase new genuine GM rod and main bearings in standard size from eBay last year after some digging.

I used total seal rings on a couple 5.7 Diesel engines in the past.They seemed to do pretty well overall.

Reactions: OkDually
461 - 463 of 463 Posts