Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
while towing a camper the error code of p2563 (which is turbocharger boost controle position sensor circuit) appeared. after clearing and traveling about 100miles more. three more codes came up p0299 ( turbo charger underboost) p2563(see above) and P0101 (mass of volume air flow circuit). when these three codes appeared tons of black smoke appeared and after pulling over noticed that the turbo air hose blew off. place the hose back on and cleared the codes. sooner then later the code P2563 reappeared again. not sure why it appeared or whats causing it. now that there is no trailler it does not seam to have any problems. but nerviouse about the next trip any ideas.

i have a 2006 gmc sierra, 2500 hd duramax with a k&n ait filter with Bully dog booster> http://www.thoroughbreddiesel.com/bu...-E3-diesel.htm

·
Vendor
68 Posts
imer101
Looks like you have a turbo van position sensor issue. Before replaceing this though I would recommend you put your truck back to stock, tow with the truck again to see if the same issues come back. This problem may be related to the programmer. That being said, we do see our fair share of this sensor failing here at the shop, if your boot was blown off you may have the vanes in the turbo sticking as well, which will cause an over boost condition and cause the other codes you saw.
my .02 hope that helps

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help
I've put the truck back to stock. Yet still have the same problem. And is it possibul you can describe where this sensor is located

·
Vendor
68 Posts
the sensor looks like an oil psi sending unit, it sits right on top of the turbo, drivers side, oposite the two wire connector for the variable vane actuator, when you see it , the connector for it is actually near the front of the motor, it will have a long pigtail to it.
hope that helps

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you do much. Going to look further into it. Oh and another thing I noticed is that sometimes I average 20 mpg and then all of a sudden it will drop to like 10 under the same driving conditions. Can this be related to the sensor also

·
Vendor
68 Posts
if the turbo is doing strange things your mileage and everything around it will be affected.

hopefully we helped, so let us know if we can help further.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
while looking at the turbo van sensor i noticed that this hose was covered in what felt like grease/oil and soot i dont recall seing it befor but could this be related to the problem also
Photobucket" media="(max-width: 640px)"> Photobucket" media="(max-width: 960px)"> Photobucket" media="(max-width: 1920px)">

·
Vendor
68 Posts
That hose is part of the crankcase vent system on your truck. Not uncommon to see it sweating and "bleeding" out a bit. Doubtful it is part of your problem, althought the dirtier the engine runs, the more issue the veins will have moveing due to build up in the exhaust housing were the veins ride.

if that sweating has swelled the wireing to the sensor for the turbo, this could be affecting the operation of the sensor for sure, look for swelled wireing, or bare wires in the length of the sensor wire.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts