Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All my problems started Monday Feb 5th. Typical morning truck is plugged in, warm it up until high idle kicks off, take off slowly until trans temp gauge moves up and motors above 180 degrees then I set the cruise at 55, I do this every morning. I always try to let it warm up for 10-15 min so it circulates some warm fuel back to the tank. About 5 miles down the road service engine light comes on, truck downshifts and falls flat in its face. Wont run over 30mph 2,000 rpm. If you really really coaxed it (thank god for low shift points)get it up to 2000 let off let it shift and put light light pressure on the accelerator and do this again until your up to 60, itd run 60 but really had to play w/it and coax it. Went to stealer after work, said it was because the d max has no warmer on the fuel filter, no lift pump, and no fuel warmer they gel up quickly. They only have a suction pump on the mtor and it ahs to suck the fuel all the way from the tank if it gets slightly thick wont suck it goes into limp mode. OK great clear the code and put some stanadyne in it and away you go. I already had a full bottle (that treats 300 gal) of white powerservice in the tank. Power service is supposed to be no alcohol and approved by gm I was told by the service manager. Tue morning same thing only this time it was when I was turning out onto a highway did it limp. What was a safe turn turned into a very dangerous situation because 1/2 way through the turn , it limped and wouldnt go, good thing the car coming slowed way down and it had to because I couldnt go. Tue after work went to stealer same code, well your fuels still to thick put some kerosene in it thin it out. RRRRRRRRRR ok, put 11 gal of kerosene in it. Wed same problem way too busy, no rental cars clear the code schedule apt come back tomorrow. Thurs took 1/2 day at work went w/my truck took it in sat there 4 hours they"checked EVERYTHING," including the fuel (i guess they take a sample and check it to see how thick it is they tell me its ok everythings fine great. Reflash computer and away you go. Fri morning same thing running fine light comes on falls on its face call stealer bring it back. They say its the fuel filter I say bs but ok try it. They put it on"we checked everythign out its a ok" on my way. Today saturday same problem, waiting to hear from stealer. Everyday same problem. Im sick of it. Friday I did call gm tech support, While at work (on the phone for over 2 hours w/this idiot), I kept telling htem Im at work dont have alot of time, oh please wait 5-7 min for a case manager, I say why cant you ahve them call me whey they are free no because then it goes into a nother file and they wont call back for at least 2 or 3 hours. Then you get on phone w/them, is this your first gm vehicle?? (what difference does that make) xyz 200 ?'s before you get down to the problem. They dont know what the problem is either. Calling customer service really aggrivated me because I couldnt udnerstand the lady on the phone and I told her mam I dont understand waht your saying I cant understand you as you pry cant understand me. She says I will talk slower, I said its not the speed its the accent. The customer serivce says they will call you back in 1 hour 6 hours later and I have to call them back, maybe time is different in pakistan or india where she was????? I think maybe if its running otu of fuel and its been super cold lately (-11) actual air temp, a lift pump fass system would work and help but I dont want to modify the truck, void warrenty etc. I dont think I should have to modify it to make it work. I dont know how guys in alaska do this, truck seems ok if ots 0+. I have tried even howes fuel anti and different fuel stations. I have made sure I am not fueling w/bio diesel (I am a huge fan but it gels quicker). I dont know what more I can do to "thin the fuel" besides Kerosene. I have put plenty of anti gels in it (whole bottles of power service (treat 300 gal) in my tank to no avail. I do put the power service in, let it run and drive it to make sure it mixes in. We fuel at mobile truck stop at work, no additives in the trucks at work and they havent had problems. I tried the same mobile (same day as our trucks so same fuel) and am having problems. Any ideas???????? Im still waiting for a call fromt he stealer. Sorry for the long post, but you have all the details any ideas. At this point I would love a buy back but in IL the law doesnt apply to vehicles more then 8000 gvrw so Im out on that one unless gm would voluntarily do it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
i have the same exact problem that you have,please call GM CASE MANAGER mr. todd kielley @ 1-866-790-5600 ext.12112 he is strting to see a pattern with this type of problem,at first they where blameing my use of standyne additive but have sense back peddled,i do hope you will call there is strength in numbers,my truck will be towed for the third time to the dealer come monday morning, you can imagine how i feel,best of luck to you.

·
Registered
136 Posts
i would refrain from putting kerosene in the fuel tank,reason being most diesel fuel is winter mix,its already cut with kero,especially here the northeast,last year i had no issues such as this,however i did loose a motor from glow plug drop,please see my other posts for more info on this.20585 miles on truck now lost engine @ 4510 miles,makes you wonder.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sounds like where I started

Sounds like the trip I am about to take. It is not really that cold and have gelled twice. Or water in the fuel. Today when I picked it up and it stalled I tried to use the pump on top of the filter to force the gell through and it was froxen. I could not move it with the force of my hand.

At least in Indiana, it will not stay this cold very long.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I feel bad for you guys. I have left my truck for five days in sub-zero (reaching -30) weather unpluged and it started up and ran great. (I lost my keys snowmobiling in the mountains). What fuel are running #1 or #2? We change fuels for the seasons. A friend I work with had a problem like this and they towed it to the dealer and fixed it that day with no problems since. I will call him and see what they did and get back to you.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The dealer told me to put #1 in because of the cold snap they were thinkking maybe some of the fuel wasnt treated for the -20 cold we were seeing, this was done per dealer instructions. I buy "winter mix" (what the pump says) fuel at truck stops high volume fresh fuel. I ask the attendants what mix it is and they dont know just that its winter mix.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts