Diesel Place banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
over a $100s and hour, like to T/S it before being a fish. To attempt to repair it myself any help?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just wanted to say thz to everyone with the questions and especially to those who share how they fixed them them selves..im going through the same thing..my truck is a 20l4 sierra 2500hd duramax 6.6 turbo diesel 4x4 long box quad cad paid 45g in the summer for it.and now this..ugg..and it all seemed yo start cause like a newbie i ran out of def fluid and didnt pay no mind..so yes im going to have get the #9injector..and put it in..so thx people for sharing us newbies to this def fluid stuff learn the hard way..lol..just 1 question though. Is ther anything that i need to know when im replacing it? Any easy way?

·
Registered
340 Posts
The “9th injector” has nothing to do with DEF, the “9th injector” or indirect fuel injector sprays fuel into the catalytic converter to create the extreme heat needed to do a particulate filter regeneration, which is actually burning the soot (particulates) from the filter. Running out of DEF is definitely not good, but not why you have this code. Some trucks have extended coverage, I suggest taking to a dealer to find out.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
i ran out of def fluid and didnt pay no mind..so yes im going to have get the #9injector..and put it in
Do you mean Hydrocarbon Injector (HCI)
DTC P20CC is for Exhaust Aftertreatment Fuel Injector performance.
The Exhaust Aftertreatment Fuel Injector is also called the Hydrocarbon Injector
(HCI).
Remove the nozzle of the Hydrocarbon Injector (HCI) from the exhaust.
- Install a piece of hose to the nozzle and place the other end in a suitable container.
- Service Information directs us to start the engine and look for any fuel leaking from the HCI nozzle into the container.

The SCR system reduces nitrogen oxides (NOx) emissions by injecting a metered amount of DEF or reductant into the exhaust gas stream that enters the SCR catalyst.
Within the SCR catalyst, the DEF reacts with the NOx to form nitrogen, carbon dioxide, and water vapor.
Upstream and downstream NOx sensors provide the engine control module (ECM) with engine-out and tailpipe-out NOx levels.
The ECM regulates the amount of DEF added by varying the reductant injector duty cycle in response to changes in engine-out NOx levels.

Reactions: navybuff

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
I ran in to this issue with fuel additive / bio fuel on my high mileage 2013. Truck would roll white smoke trying to ignite 9th injector. Stopped using addictive in that truck problems went away.
What Additive?

Reactions: DuckduckGmc

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just an update for anybody who would like to know. Truck is fixed. I replaced the 9th injector assembly. The old one’s nozzle in the down pipe was completely covered and clogged with soot from the truck idling more than it should. Took it the shop to have force regen done and those people must have just been clueless. Took it to another local shop that is more of a performance truck center and her forced regen while driving the vehicle had it fixed and cleaned it less than a couple of hours. Truck is no longer in limp mode nor has reduced engine power. Fuel mileage went back up from 9.8 to 18.7 while he was driving it. Now he did not check the EGT sensors or NOX sensors as I am planning to delete the truck in the near future. I hope that this feedback helps.
Do you have the part #? I have a 2014 duramax with the same problem... thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just an update for anybody who would like to know. Truck is fixed. I replaced the 9th injector assembly. The old one’s nozzle in the down pipe was completely covered and clogged with soot from the truck idling more than it should. Took it the shop to have force regen done and those people must have just been clueless. Took it to another local shop that is more of a performance truck center and her forced regen while driving the vehicle had it fixed and cleaned it less than a couple of hours. Truck is no longer in limp mode nor has reduced engine power. Fuel mileage went back up from 9.8 to 18.7 while he was driving it. Now he did not check the EGT sensors or NOX sensors as I am planning to delete the truck in the near future. I hope that this feedback helps.
Thank you so much for posting your fix. My 2013 just started doing what you described. Im hopeful that I can fix it myself.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts