Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I finally got the dreaded Service light...
P0380 - Glow Plug Heater CKT A
I have 68,000 miles on the truck.

Dealer replaced glow plugs #2, #3, and the controller.

It was covered under 5yr/100,000k mi powertrain with $100 deductible.
I brought up the info I read from previous posts about how it should be covered under Emissions. I even quoted the Policies and Procedues Manual. No dice. They were polite, but they held firm.

I've searched and read the threads and am wondering what Article 1.2 page 15 & 16 of the GM Policies and Procedures Manual say. And how some dealers would honor it and others not.

Can anybody quote it for me? Do I have any recourse?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
158 Posts
it plainly states in your owner's manual in the warranty section that glow plug and related components are covered under the emissions warranty. no deductable applies. in fact i just had a glow plug replaced at no charge

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't receive all of the manuals when I purchased the vehicle...

Can anybody help with a scan of the page? I'm burned that my dealer is taking advantage.

Thanks in advance.:rippedhan

·
Registered
144 Posts
Just went thru this CB. My check engine lite came on in march. Took to stealer, 2 bad glow plugs,glow plug controller bad. They said they would replace all 8 plugs at no charge, but the controller wasnt covered. Talked to some guys here they told me I shouldn't pay anything. Called stealer ready to do battle next day,they realized it was all covered under emission warranty,out the door ,no charge. Why can't these stealers put the correct info in their computer and it should tell them whether it's covered or not? It seems to be up to the discretion of the service mgr.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
I dont have my scanner hooked up, but it says that items covered under the powertrain warranty may also be covered by the federal emissions warranty, which the glow plugs and controller are, which has $0 deductible.

They also charged me $100 ded. when my injectors were done, which are also covered under federal emissions, finally got gm to give me my money back.

They love to take your cash, but they hate to give it back!

I utimately got my money back and a $200 service voucher which I will probably never use. Thats the first thing they will offer you if you can get them to admit you were wrongly charged. GM will tell you they don't return deductibles.

I just kept repeating..I want MY money back, I want MY money back, Not GM's money....My money!!!!

OK,OK I know it's Christmas. Good Luck toyou Carl, Let me know if I can be of further assistance, I know I have the GM North America number around here somewhere.

·
Registered
426 Posts
You guys are a wealth of help, thanks!! Can you tell me if specifically the glow plug relay is part of the no deductible emission warrantee?, because I paid the $100 on the PO380 code also.for a "relay". Actually, Im glad it was only $100, I didnt know what to expect!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Controller relay is also listed as an emission warranty item, 5yr, 100,000 mi. $o deductible. It's unreal what these guys get away with charging!!!

I thought the same thing when my dealer didn't want to hear what I had to say. it's only a hundred dollars. How many only a hundred dollars have these guys collected!!!

The squeaky wheel..... squeak, baby, squeak!!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the links and additional information. As soon as the holidays are over I'm heading back to get my money back!

The thing that gets me hot is I brought up the GM Policies and Procedures and the Service Writer just bluntly replied that it is covered under Powertrain and that is how they have been covering replacements. "Do I have your authorization to proceed with the repairs?" I asked again when I went to pick my truck up and was told the same thing...

Of course I needed my truck back...

·
Registered
193 Posts
if you get the p0380 code along with the air intake heater code and the plugs warm up normally, it starts normally, and runs normally, are the plugs the problem or does that sound more like an intake heater issue or maybe the 175amp glow plug heater fuse?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I went back to the dealer Friday and asked to speak with the service manager. He seemed surprised that I had been charged--and when he quizzed the two service advisors on duty each of them knew it was a covered repair...my service writer wasn't in that day.

He told me he'd credit back my card. I thanked him, but also told him that I was miffed at having to come back in to get my money, especially since I'd brought it up more than twice with the service advisor. I let him know that didn't do much for my feeling that I'd get fair treatment at his dealership--especially since I had even mentioned the GM Policies and Procedures when I was called to authorize the $100 fee to fix my car--and again when I picked up my car. He apologized and offered to make it up to me.

I told him I'd be sure and bring my owner's manual next time and he chuckled that it shouldn't be necessary and not to worry...

He ended up giving me a free detail--at my convenience. I thought that was a nice gesture, so I'll give them another shot at my business.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Laugh4

Just recently joined the diesel place forum
I too have been dealing with the stealing...I had to pay 50.00 for the diognostic to pinpoint the problem.. They wanted to charge me the 100.00 deductable for a faulty Glow Plug within the 5year 100,000 miles...
As a matter of fact they told me they could fix my glow plugs for 180.00 at the beginning of the process.
After reading these threads Im glad to know I am not alone..
Thank you for your inputs I have since gone back to the dealer and recouped all costs and they included a free oil change. I will take them up on the oil change but will never forget what they did!!! I will check this forum before any more stealings.
thanks again

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
I am another one who had to pay the $100 deductible for diagnosing and replacing a glow plug relay after a P0380 code.

I will be calling the service manager tomorrow to attempt to get my money back.

The computer system that the dealers have should tell them these parts are covered under what warranty and tell the dealership that no deductible should be charged.

Why do the dealerships not want to honor the warranties?

·
Registered
552 Posts
I had the same P0380 code come up about 1 month ago and thought the service writer was "taking care of me" by only charging me fot the tow bad glow plugs ($60), thanks to you guys and this forum I now know they owe me a refund. I called them yesterday and they said they have to research my claim and get back to me today. Funny how they can make it sound like they are "healping" you out but ultimatly they are just taking a little more each time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
me too!

i too was charged the $100 deductible over two services for repair of glow plugs, the 1st ~$94, and then 11 months later, the other $6. I just sent an email to the service manager asking how to get reimbursed as it was an emission item. waiting to hear his repsonse.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Well I talked to the service writer and he told me he could only issues a refund under the emissions warranty if it caused a failed emissions test. Not sure what to do from here? Any ideas who to talk to next? Is there a corrporate number to try?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Warrenty Deductable

2002 D-max 86k miles.
I just went through the dealer glow plug replacement for the third time and this time they wanted the $100 deductable. They said that the reason that they did not charge it before was that the service writer did not do the correct paperwork.:mad:
My solution was to contact the sales manager (wants to sell a truck again!) he jumped right in and found that indead it is covered by the emmisions section for 5/100k. I got the $100 back.:)
I have two months left and the S.E.S. light is on again. There are only three glow plugs left that have not been changed. I have not noticed any starting problems or running problems with the glow plugs being bad. Central CA so not below 20degrees.
Anybody with info on glow plugs and coolant leak problems??, I have heard that this can ruin the engine? No TSB's? or recalls??

·
Registered
47 Posts
Got the code Friday

I just bought a 02 and it is still in the 30 day warranty the gave me on it. I just hooked up my Predator that I got today and read the code. Taking the truck back this week. :(

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.