Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On my 6.5L TD I keep getting a P0236 code and have been told that this could be anything from missing spare tire to left signal light out. Can anyone narrow this down for me a bit. My engine light will come on for a while then go out for a while. No rhyme or reason to the times between. Some times my reader will show a pending error and other times it will show that it has triggered the engine light.
Any help is appreciated

Thanx in advance
Joe

·
Registered
427 Posts
What's your truck? Year, mods, etc.? Fill out your signature - that will help us help you. Does your boost fall off?

But, 236 is a very common indicator of a failing wastegate solenoid (or cracked vac line). Do a search for that term and you should find lots of reading material - plus easy ways to diagnose. $40 part, 5 minute R&R.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
P0236 code

Thanx. I did as you suggested.
The truck is a 98 silverado and the boost doesn't fall off. I replaced the waste gate solinoid to no avail.

thanx
Joe

·
Registered
89 Posts
Try the search function, this is well covered.

P0236 = Turbocharger Boost Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39368

Mine had your symptoms and turned out to be the wastegate solonoid. Go through the tests in the link above though.

cheers
Nobby

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Mine did that and it was a dead vacuum pump. I did not mess with replacing it, i made a home made manual turbo controller instead.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Thanx. I did as you suggested.
The truck is a 98 silverado and the boost doesn't fall off. I replaced the waste gate solinoid to no avail.

thanx
Joe
How the heck did you replace it so quick? You responded only 7 minutes after I posted?!?

Either way, how do you know boost isn't falling off? No smoke? Do you have a boost gauge? I'm not trying to be a smart aleck, but you didn't mention it in your signature so I wasn't sure. Again, don't read anything into this - I'm just trying to understand. When you have some time, read up on how to check vacuum at the wastegate. Could be a cracked line (bad pump as mentioned) or it still could be a faulty solenoid. This is typically a pretty ease fix, but we got to find out where the problem is so you don't start replacing things "just because".

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
I think you should check for vacuum at various places. At the pump. At the solenoid. At the wastegate actuator. If vacuum is present, find out how much. If not, find out why. No vac at pump means pump is dead; no vac elsewhere could be dead pump or broken lines. Could also be a bad wastegate solenoid but since its new thats pretty unlikly. My guess is bad pump. If there is some vacuum present, find out how much. Put a vac gauge on it. It should be around 25" at the pump. If not, bad pump. Test elsewhere. Eventually you will discover the problem.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How the heck did you replace it so quick? You responded only 7 minutes after I posted?!?

Either way, how do you know boost isn't falling off? No smoke? Do you have a boost gauge? I'm not trying to be a smart aleck, but you didn't mention it in your signature so I wasn't sure. Again, don't read anything into this - I'm just trying to understand. When you have some time, read up on how to check vacuum at the wastegate. Could be a cracked line (bad pump as mentioned) or it still could be a faulty solenoid. This is typically a pretty ease fix, but we got to find out where the problem is so you don't start replacing things "just because".
Thanx for the reply.
I had the solinoid replaced at a garage 3 weeks ago & forgot to mention it.
I started the engine & could move the actuator linkage quite easily. I then took it out for a drive (90kM) and when I got back the linkage was all the way up & I couldn't move it by hand while the engine was running.

Thanx again

Joe

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Hi again
I just went out & started my truck. The actuator rod was all the way up. I could push it down quite easily and it would go back up when i released it. I did that two more times (sort of pumping it) and on the fourth time it SNAPPED up and I couldn't push it back down.

any clues?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts