Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hooked up my 24' enclosed trailer to move a motorcycle for a friend today.

I had the TTS set on Extreme because I didn't want to turn it down and have the alli screw around with the shifts.

I wasn't hammering it or anything just taking it easy.

Truck was warmed up and I was on the highway doing about 60 and the light comes on, I stopped about 10 min later to get a cofee check the code and its a P0234 and or a P0234 pd which I think means pending.

I clear the code drive another 15 minutes or so, stop truck load up the bike drive another half hour, stop the truck unload the bike, drive about 10 minutes back doing about 50 mph with very little boost, maybe 5-8 lbs and the light comes back on again.

Same code again.

I check my max boost on recall for the guage and it's only hit 26 psi and I don't even think that was with the trailer today, probally from another day.

I have hit 30 psi many times before with no codes set. :exactly:

Any way I get home unhook the trailer go out for a hammer session and no more codes.

Usually I'll tow the trailer with the TTS set on 80 or 125 if theres a car in it, BUT I have turned it up to Extreme before with a car in there and no codes, and it had to hit 30+ psi then.

So I'm not sure why I was getting that code today, any ideas ? :confused: :confused:

DD

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Drago

You aren't fooling me,maybe your wife but not me.I seen you asking many questions about the BD turbo :D

Maybe you have a sensor getting ready to go on the fritz.I have thrown them on REAL cold days before.

What are you running for a airbox?

·
Registered
10,516 Posts
I hooked up my 24' enclosed trailer to move a motorcycle for a friend today.

I had the TTS set on Extreme because I didn't want to turn it down and have the alli screw around with the shifts.

I wasn't hammering it or anything just taking it easy.

Truck was warmed up and I was on the highway doing about 60 and the light comes on, I stopped about 10 min later to get a cofee check the code and its a P0234 and or a P0234 pd which I think means pending.

I clear the code drive another 15 minutes or so, stop truck load up the bike drive another half hour, stop the truck unload the bike, drive about 10 minutes back doing about 50 mph with very little boost, maybe 5-8 lbs and the light comes back on again.

Same code again.

I check my max boost on recall for the guage and it's only hit 26 psi and I don't even think that was with the trailer today, probally from another day.

I have hit 30 psi many times before with no codes set. :exactly:

Any way I get home unhook the trailer go out for a hammer session and no more codes.

Usually I'll tow the trailer with the TTS set on 80 or 125 if theres a car in it, BUT I have turned it up to Extreme before with a car in there and no codes, and it had to hit 30+ psi then.

So I'm not sure why I was getting that code today, any ideas ? :confused: :confused:

DD

It can and will happen on larger tunes. It is most likely to occur when towing and under light boost conditions, steady state APP. My truck threw them more when it was bone stock. Solution? I do not have one. Edge does a good job of intercepting and capping the MAP sensor voltage to keep from throwing the code, but I tend to take it in stride now.

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
hm yeah. Definetly time for a BD :D

You can be the SECOND Dmax in CT with one! :)

Ben

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You guys are pretty funny.

Mac I have the AFE 2, the filter looks a little dirty maybe it's plugged up some.
Hope it's not a sensor.
Maybe the colder weather had something to do with it, it was about 35 deg this morning, last time I tried the Extreme setting while towing was last summer so it was much warmer then and no code.
Me asking questions about a BD :think: ):h

Juice thats exactly what happened towing with a LIGHT boost condition, don't know why that would throw a Overboost code since I was no where near any high boost numbers. This is the first time I got this code. Don't like that little engine icon lit up and staring at me. :(

Ben your still in New York so by the time you get back YOU could be the second in CT with a BD :lol:
Just kidding not doing anything yet but make sure you take your time on yours and learn from your mistakes. :grd:

Then when you have everything figured out correctly you can help me with mine. :ro)

DD

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
Then when you have everything figured out correctly you can help me with mine. :ro)
:lol: hahaha its a deal! The LILLY downpipe comes off much easier tho. Ill take lots of pics and notes, like I always do when I undertake a project on which I havent the slightest Idea what im doing.):h

ben

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
Mine would set them from time to time, but I never got an SES code, only when would check for DTC's would it come up.

I would not pay much attention to it.

T;) NY

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
i think .... It happens when the boost is much higher at a partial throttle than the computer thinks it should be. This can be because of a bigger program or turbo.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Diesel Dragon, I have had this happen twice in a week once and never again.

I just have the Edge/Attitude and the first time it was on 4 and the second was on 3.

The first time I threw the code I was leaving a friends house doing 25MPH after three or four starts it cleared and the second time I was in traffic doing 40MPH. At neither time was I compressing air remotely close to max boost never mind over boost.

Also my my friend at the dealer said the code was a continuous max boost over a set time line. I do not remember the exact seconds. But that is what I was told.

Dude hope this helps.

ps. The first code was the night before my wife and I left for the Outter Banks, NC. 16hours driving and getting up a 4am I was about to have heartattack when that check engine light came on!

·
Registered
10,516 Posts
Juice thats exactly what happened towing with a LIGHT boost condition, don't know why that would throw a Overboost code since I was no where near any high boost numbers. This is the first time I got this code. Don't like that little engine icon lit up and staring at me. :(
Yup. what is happening (as explained by JAFO equipped with a tech2) is this. The fuel tables are skewed for more delivery. With more fuel comes more boost. The ECM is comparing Load VS RPM VS Boost with the input from the MAF and MAP as reference values.

So what it sounds like is at some point in the load calculation the actual boost is above GM's reference point, and tripping the code. From the tech's standpoint, his opinion was the MAF and MAP sensors are having the disagreement, and it is a flow issue more than an actual boost pressure issue.

FWIW I have been able to trip a 0234 with every single module out there at some time or another. Some tuners intercept and attenuate the signal better i guess.

Doesn't necessarily get us any further, but that's the best I have for you guys.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Does anyone know if the ppe overboost code eliminator works?

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
I had it happen once or twice with the Extreme towing my boat. I generally would tow in the 80 or 120 but sometimes when it was time to pass another vehicle I would crank it up and forget and leave it in the Extreme. This is when the code would set.

I agree with Juice on the explanation. The solution, just as any doctor would tell you when you told him it hurts when you do this.....don't do that. :D

The bottom line, most tuners would just turn off the codes in the software and then everybody would be happy and no one would know. Turning off codes in the software also elimates the diagnostics that would allow you to trouble shoot a legitimate problem.

Steve has never been one to just eliminate stuff because it was annoying. He would rather maintain all the functionality and diagnostic info. My guess is he worked long and hard to try and write a tune that would not set the code rather than turning it off.

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
I never set one with the TTS only Quad's box,must be a late model thing :D
1) You have to drive the truck once in a while. :D
2) You have to tow something of substance behind it. :D :D
(Harleys don't count) :eek:

3) Just waxing the truck once in a while and saying you own an Extreme doesn't count. :D :D :D

FYI, my 2003 has 75,000 miles on it.

:joke:

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
1) You have to drive the truck once in a while.
You'd be surprised I'm not a tell all! :eek:

2) You have to tow something of substance behind it.
(Harleys don't count)
The trailer had high sides and bulk head on it 600 miles ,it was like holding up a sheet of plywood into the Santa Anna winds walking at 90 MPH! But it was August! :)

3) Just waxing the truck once in a while and saying you own an Extreme doesn't count.
But she sure is purtty! :D

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
well we have a consensus, a tts that is throwing 234 over boost codes at low boost , never thought we would see that , I guess ppe was not that far off with the over boost controller on edit the ppe will be tested at 45lbs to see if it blows codes as it has been addressed, yes it does work , and well , another ppe product that works!!

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The solution, just as any doctor would tell you when you told him it hurts when you do this.....don't do that. :D

:lol: My old doctor actually told me that once :idiot: . Needless to say I have a new doctor now. :exactly:

So it looks like the constant factor is that the code gets set when your towing something heavy or bulky with a big tune and the load vs airflow vs boost don't actually jive with what their Supposed to be on a computer table throughout the rpm range, and it's not really a high max boost setting code, like 40 psi or something.

That makes sense and restores order to the world again, or atleast my little slice of it. :bounce:

:thankyou2 everyone.

:rockit:

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
CAP I don't know about PPE but this is the first overboost code I have had in a year and it was done pullin a trailer with the program set on Extreme which I really shouldn't have been doing to begin with. I should of had it set to 80 or 125 hp for towing and then I'm sure I wouldn't of had a code.

And I have towed with bigger loads in those settings and never had a problem.

My .02

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
So, you're still gonna go with the BD Supermax anyway right? :D

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
I can tow any load with out 234 happening, It was a big deal that ppe caused the 234 to happen and tts was angelic, we new tts was doing 234 at low boost too, but it was hushed . welcome top the hp club. ppe has addressed this on the newer units ...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... ouch was that a tassel

1 - 20 of 41 Posts