Diesel Place banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1997,Chevrolet silverado 3500 6.5 turbo diesel
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting repeated balance codes and engine is shaking. I've tried. New injectors, new fuel filter and housing. Replaced lift pump, all diesel hose from lift to injectors replaced. Injection pump starts great hot. Also comes down in rpms steady. Air, sock? Seems like two reasonable places to start. 250k on the truck. Any trouble shooting tips? Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Most scans show cylinders 1 and 8 however 1 scan showed 1,6,7,8

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also getting a p1656. I know the turbo is getting good vacuum.

·
Administrator
19,884 Posts
Go through every inch of your engine harness looking for any worn wire insulation, corroded, broken wires. Connectors and pins all clean and tight
Double-check all grounds. also clean and tight..

After that, if there are no improvements then do a compression check

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Why not break each injector loose one at a time and find the offending cylinder?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Go through every inch of your engine harness looking for any worn wire insulation, corroded, broken wires. Connectors and pins all clean and tight
Double-check all grounds. also clean and tight..

After that, if there are no improvements then do a compression check
My electrical skills are awful. I checked grounds. And cleand harnesses connectors. That's where my skill level ends. Number 1 and 8 cylinders would be alright to test. Thankfully it's not a cylinder under the turbo.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why not break each injector loose one at a time and find the offending cylinder?
Computer is showing 1 and 8. Cylinders 9 out of every 10 scans.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My electrical skills are awful. I checked grounds. And cleand harnesses connectors. That's where my skill level ends. Number 1 and 8 cylinders would be alright to test. Thankfully it's not a cylinder under the turbo.
There is one relay that is damaged by the coolant reservoir.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
I am just going off info provided. With the P0216 and imbalance codes. My best guess is a bad CPS.
1656 is an electrical issue which could be bad ground or 5v supply voltage. CPS and Boost solenoid both share the same grounds . Your problem could be wireing or ground.

Try disconnecting the optical sensor and see what happens. post up results.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bad lifters. Ticking and smoking. Engine fate. Burnt valves.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Hmmmmm.... So you never said you have valve train noise in this thread till now. Have you pulled the valve covers to take a look? It may be as simple as broken rocker arm retainers. Which is a common problem causing your issues.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,624 Posts
I’ve also seen crossed injector lines on these engines in the past.One engine I worked on had cylinder 2 and 4 lines crossed over on the injector side of things.Unbelievable.

Reactions: OkDually
1 - 12 of 12 Posts