Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2010 gmc sierra 3500hd banks intake, exhaust, intercooler, economind/powerpack tuner
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have been fighting p0087 codes for two years. replaced many fuel filters, replaced high pressure relief valve with plug, replaced filter to cp3 lines, added carter 4601 hp pump at tank.
left fuel filter life readout up on dash and it will go from 97-98 to zero all at once. if you reset it to 100 per cent before check engine light comes on, you can keep right on driving, no problem. battery voltage went from 13.5 to 14.5 volts. something is shorting out filter life and causing p0087 code. only happens pulling trailer on hot days. Imho, is not a fuel delivery problem but an electrical problem. last couple of times i also got p166c intake air heater code and p0381 glo plug heater indicator circuit code. truck is long bed, crew cab dually with a 62 gallon titan replacement tank. next step seems to be replacing engine control module, but thats expensive

·
Administrator
16,013 Posts
Welcome to DieselPlace
If you do a community search at the top of the screen you can find lots of informational threads to read on the P0087 code

(y)

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
The 'usual suspects' are injectors and high pressure fuel pump. There are some things you can do to mitigate the problem, but if injectors or pump are too worn, you will continue to have problems.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Dealt with p0087 code for two years replacing/adding all of the easy stuff (fuel lines, lift pump, FPR plug. Kennedy tune to prevent/reduce p0087). Ending up being new injectors that fixed it for good. Expensive, but truck runs like new and pulls hard. This video is great in troubleshooting p0087

·
Registered
29 Posts
Probably injectors. Before you change injectors, you may want to try the old GM X66P (GM pt# 88861803) injector cleaner, this stuff has been known to work wonders but has been discontinued. Some dealers still have old stock and if your dealer doesn't have it, ask them if any dealer in their system does have it, they can do a search. Normally X66P is around $25-$27 at the dealer if you can find it, it is available on ebay/Amazon for an outrageous $90-$110, but it might solve the problem, better than doing injectors.The X66P solved my problem on my LBZ, made a huge difference on my buddies LB7 and no more codes for either truck. I was lucky to be able to get the last 2 bottles my dealer had and I just bought the last 4 from another dealer 60 miles away just last month. If you find the X66P, it does not go in the fuel tank, you must disconnect the feed and return lines on the driver side rear of the engine and run it full strength (mixed in 64oz of pure diesel, no bio fuel) It takes about an hour +/- at idle but it will change your injector rates for the better. I have yet to use this stuff even on crappy injectors where it did not improve the rates.
I mix the X66P in RED off road diesel so I know when it comes out of the return line to put that line back in the container so it doesn't get too diluted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts