Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 5' X 12' utility trailer with a straight underslung axle ( mounted above springs). I was wanting to move it to underneath the springs to get about 3 more inches of clearance.

Any feed back on this would be appreciated like safety or how the trailer will handle.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Your axle will have a bend in it if you look at it with weight of trailer off it. You will have to buy a set of brackets to weld to the top side of the axle, or try and re-use the ones on the bottom of the axle right now. Grind them off.

It would be easier to leave old brackets on so you know exactly where to mount on the opposite side.

Weld on brackets and mount under springs..

Are you able to post a pic?

Do you guys have princess Auto in the States?

·
Registered
353 Posts
You probably could buy a bare new axle for $100 or less. What size and make is it? If it is a Dexter you could check with Redneck trailer supplies in Tampa Florida 1-813-628-0000 or in Shelby North Carolina 1-704-487-8830 or Muscle Shoals Alabama 1-205-386-0328.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The axle is fine I just want the trailer to set higher and putting the axle on the bottom of the spring will give me about 3 inches gain.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I think you miss understood what Ruffy was trying to say. All trailer axles have a mild bend in them this puts postitive camber on the tires so when your loaded the wheels will sit straight up & down . If you just flip the axle over you will end up with negative camber so when your trailer is loaded its a posibility that your tires can rub at the top of your fender wells. This is the reason for mounting tabs on the other side of your axles. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I understood what he said and should have clarified myself. The axle is a good axle and for some reason the bend was down while mounted on top of the springs. I don't know why they built it with the bend down but they did.

With all that said last night at 11:30 PM I decided that it needed to be done, wife doesn't understand these things, and went out and did it. Boy that was nice, no one messing with me.

Now the axle is set at bottom of springs with bend up and it rides like a dream. I really thought it might ride rougher with the axle on the bottom but I was wrong and the rearend doesn't drag anymore.

With our trucks even with a low drop ball mount these small trailer look kinda funny bulldogging down the road and I would recommend doing this especially if you take your trailer where you have alot of dips.

I'm running a 2 inch drop mount and trailer sets level with hitch and just plain looks good and manly now.

I painted it Safety Red and put an aluminum floor mount tool box in it up front. I will have to move the fenders down now but everyone that has seen it says it looks really good setting behind my truck.

Thanks fellas for your replys.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hey glad you got fixed the way you want it.:ro) I wished I could do the same thing to my 30' enclosed trailer I dont know how many times i've almost ripped the tail end off it going in and out of gas stations

·
Registered
353 Posts
CADMAX;1581663;1581663 said:
I understood what he said and should have clarified myself. The axle is a good axle and for some reason the bend was down while mounted on top of the springs. I don't know why they built it with the bend down but they did.

With all that said last night at 11:30 PM I decided that it needed to be done, wife doesn't understand these things, and went out and did it. Boy that was nice, no one messing with me.

Now the axle is set at bottom of springs with bend up and it rides like a dream. I really thought it might ride rougher with the axle on the bottom but I was wrong and the rearend doesn't drag anymore.

With our trucks even with a low drop ball mount these small trailer look kinda funny bulldogging down the road and I would recommend doing this especially if you take your trailer where you have alot of dips.

I'm running a 2 inch drop mount and trailer sets level with hitch and just plain looks good and manly now.

I painted it Safety Red and put an aluminum floor mount tool box in it up front. I will have to move the fenders down now but everyone that has seen it says it looks really good setting behind my truck.

Thanks fellas for your replys.
Sounds like someone else turned the axle over before you got it, maybe a mini van owner.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts