Diesel Place banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Administrator
15,991 Posts
Another one for the chalkboard guys. My head gasket is blown. I had it towed to diesel repair. They have condemned the head gasket after compression test. After sensing the loss of compression the hours I was messing with it, I believe them.

Options.. Whats the best reman source these days?, I'm hoping I can afford a reasonable long block assembly and have the shop swap it in without going bankrupt..

Salvage yard assemblies run about 1000 bucks but I don't feel good about that idea.
Your best option is to do the head gaskets and have the heads checked, install studs on the block, and get back on the road.
Remans are sketchy at best.
Avoid US Engine productions advertisements for low priced reman options.
There are a lot of China Knock off and Brazil blocks out there waiting to give you grief if you're not careful.
There used to be viable options for military take outs but those sources have dried up..
If you go with a new engine expect to pay around $8k
The only ones I would recommend for new.. would be Kennedy Diesel or Leroy Diesel

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
This is the best return to this forum I've ever had. GUYS GATHER ROUND, so after being totally unlucky for awhile I really think I've just had a stroke of magic happen.. I paid $2200, for my 02 6.5 with 150,000 miles on it . I thought this was a great deal, and it could have been If I performed the IP replacement right without messing up my cooling system. So with the head gasket and in need of a real work truck now!! Instead of fixing it, I decided to look around for another. And I **** you not, The reason I love school buses is because no one else does. I bought a 08 DURAMAX LMM Diesel with 99,000 on the odometer (YES YOUR DAMN RIGHT ITS A SCHOOL BUS HAHA ) FOR $3000!! And it has a wheelchair lift (Liftgate)
I feel like the luckiest man alive.. I'll try to put new head gaskets on myself once I have the old turd towed back to me from the shop. I'll be polishing the LMM in the meantime
After driving my new 08 home, I can say I'm happy to kinda leave the old 6.5 behind maybe for a 2nd rig, who knows...

·
Administrator
15,991 Posts
This is the best return to this forum I've ever had. GUYS GATHER ROUND, so after being totally unlucky for awhile I really think I've just had a stroke of magic happen.. I paid $2200, for my 02 6.5 with 150,000 miles on it . I thought this was a great deal, and it could have been If I performed the IP replacement right without messing up my cooling system. So with the head gasket and in need of a real work truck now!! Instead of fixing it, I decided to look around for another. And I **** you not, The reason I love school buses is because no one else does. I bought a 08 DURAMAX LMM Diesel with 99,000 on the odometer (YES YOUR DAMN RIGHT ITS A SCHOOL BUS HAHA ) FOR $3000!! And it has a wheelchair lift (Liftgate)
I feel like the luckiest man alive.. I'll try to put new head gaskets on myself once I have the old turd towed back to me from the shop. I'll be polishing the LMM in the meantime
After driving my new 08 home, I can say I'm happy to kinda leave the old 6.5 behind maybe for a 2nd rig, who knows...
Congrats on your new LMM bus.

Be aware there are some things you need to do right away for your LMM motor's health.
1. Install a lift pump, like a Kennedy Single lift pump
2. Install extra fuel Filtration ( ie. Kennedy's Mega Filter, etc )
3. Only purchase your fuel from well used stations like TruckStops ( Flying J, Pilot, T/A, etc) Do not buy from mom and pop stations.
4. Use a fuel additive with Lubricity with each tank of fuel.

The LMM is equipped with the CP4 Injection and is known to grenade. When it grenades it will send metal shavings throughout your fuel system.
The repair costs, if it happens, is going to be upwards of $11k..

With the above additions to your LMM fuel system, you will lessen the chances of a CP4 grenade issue.

·
Registered
627 Posts
"The LMM is equipped with the CP4 Injection and is known to grenade. When it grenades it will send metal shavings throughout your fuel system.
The repair costs, if it happens, is going to be upwards of $11k.. "

Holy s&*t! Just sent my spare DB2 out for overhaul. And the above quote is another reason I hope to keep my '93 until they plant me. Both my boys are good mechs. They can keep it running.:)

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thanks for the tip OKDually, I'm definitely going to follow your advice. Question though, as i looked into it, aren't 08-11 LMM's equipped with the CP3?
Regardless, i'm going to get a lift pump and be extra careful.
I'm reading the CP3's are decent.?
Anything I can do to protect the new rig, I'm seriously in love with it in every way!

·
Administrator
15,991 Posts
Thanks for the tip OKDually, I'm definitely going to follow your advice. Question though, as i looked into it, aren't 08-11 LMM's equipped with the CP3?
Regardless, i'm going to get a lift pump and be extra careful.
I'm reading the CP3's are decent.?
Anything I can do to protect the new rig, I'm seriously in love with it in every way!
You are correct. The LML from 11'-16' is equipped with the CP4
The LMM is equipped with the CP3.. My Coffee didn't kick in when I posted that 🤪😴☕

It is still important to add a lift pump and filtration to your LMM Duramax for longevity.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thanks so much for all your advice and help OKDually, the steps you gave me to follow for my previous issues taught me a lot and you gave me the confidence to try.
Your so willing to help others out, your like the Jesus Christ of Diesel. lol 🙌👏🙌
You will always be on my team
I owe you a beer
Eric Rudofsky from NJ

21 - 28 of 28 Posts