Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 02 6.5 turbo is again messed up. I just got over a long battle replacing the IP with the help of this forum. This time things seem worse.
Had the new IP on for just a few weeks things were great, until..

Firstly I Knew that I had a recent failing of the coolant temp sensor (the one on the driver side block for the drivers gauge). The gauge was lifelessly pinned at max temp even at startup. I read this gauge and sensor is separate from the actual operation of the thermostat.

I had the part coming in the mail however I needed to use the truck and most unfortunately I ended up in a situation where i'm assuming the thermostat never opened.
I was driving about a 25 minutes until I noticed low engine power, Than I had a coolant hose burst. I pulled over and realized the engine had overheated. Had to wait 3 hours to get AAA to get me because I had to argue with them intensely: they said they don't cover buss's how ever my VIN establishes the vehicle as a gmc 3500 Savanna and I have premier RV so they had to tow me.

I'm totally exhausted trying to get things right I'm wondering if anyone can refer a good Diesel Mech around Toms River NJ.
If I discover my head gasket is blown, What kind of prices would I be looking at for a rebuild vs a new engine?
It was a miracle I handled replacing the IP. I struggled so greatly on that i'm so upset to already see my rig immobile.. Wish you all the best of luck with your rigs, I've had nothing but problems with mine.

·
Administrator
15,962 Posts
I would start by replacing the Thermostat ( Ac/delco 190*)
Inspect your radiator, flush and install 2 fresh hoses and fill with coolant.
Check for any codes and post them here.
run it up to temp and check for signs of a headgasket failure.
( ie. coolant in oil, white smoke from exhaust that smells sweet, hard upper radiator hose while the engine is at idle, bubbles in coolant recovery tank, etc )
The more repairs you do yourself the cheaper it will be on your wallet.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So part of my troubleshooting issue is that heat from the block melted wires to my glow plug relay, after I replaced the burnt sections of wire, but now i'm not getting any life from the lift pump. I normally hear it while the wait to start procedure occurs and when the glow plug relay is clicking.

·
Administrator
15,962 Posts
So part of my troubleshooting issue is that heat from the block melted wires to my glow plug relay, after I replaced the burnt sections of wire, but now i'm not getting any life from the lift pump. I normally hear it while the wait to start procedure occurs and when the glow plug relay is clicking.
Go back through all of your grounds and recheck everything

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's a specific question someone who understands these center mount coolant diagrams. Trying to eliminate the the rear heater core and vulnerability.
So I've cut out the rear hater core. You can see in the pics two ball valves.
On the left side of the ball valves coolant ran to the back heater core and returns.
On the right side of the ball valves the top ball valve hose runs to "Y" union to the radiator and another hose that runs behind the power steering pump out of sight.
The bottom ball valve hose runs to a 'Y" union that goes to the thermostat and another hose that disappears out of sight.
What is the most practical way to reroute the cooling. I'm left with 2 open hoses and one place to connect at the radiator. 😵🤯😵
IMG_20200601_192802293.jpg
3.jpg
IMG_20200601_192743286.jpg

·
Premium Member
1995 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 6.5 TD
106 Posts
On the left side of the ball valves coolant ran to the back heater core and returns. where is the return line from the rear heater core?
But you want to just tie in the supply and return hoses from the rear heater. Where you do this is is to you as long as where you tie the two hoses together a doesn't affect any other supply or return.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, i get what your saying I've got a closed cooling system but I still cannot get to start

After rewiring meted sections of wire i'm in a No start situation with codes.
P0231 Fuel Pump Relay circuit low

P0380 glow plugs circuit A malfunction

No idea how to troubleshoot these. I know they were caused by wires to the glow plug relay getting melted but now that the wires are fixed I dont know what to do.

·
Administrator
15,962 Posts
Verify you have 12v going to the glow plug relay and with the assistance of another person, verify you have 12v. burst going from the glow plug relay to the glow plugs with the IGN key turned to the ON position a few times.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Check the ECM-B and ECM-I fuses.
Make sure the ECM-B fuse has 12v. all the time.
Make sure the ECM-I fuse has 12v. when key is ON.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok so i just needed to clear the codes with the scan tool and they did not come back. I also hear life to the lift pump now. but i still have crank but no start. No codes to be seen, im wondering if its just fuel starved now.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Is your GPR cycling like it should?

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes the clicks sound loud and healthy, i hear the lift pump run and i cracked the injectors and i see fuel.. maybe my batteries are low i'm going to let them charge.

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
17,789 Posts
You will have to crank longer.
Make sure the LP is running when you crank.
Start by bleeding air from the fuel filter if you have not done so.
Put a hose on top of the valve forming a "n", close it after the bubble subside.
The LP will need to keep running.
Keep cranking.
Pause the crank every so often so the starter can cool down.
Make sure the batteries is in tip top shape, otherwise, if batteries drain and you have to stop cranking, you will need to start over after the batteries is charged externally.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
GUYS GUYS GUYS! I figured it out thanks to a friend talking me through what happened. Although I didn't apply this plan yet here's what I think. When i blew the coolant hose my air intake sucked in a bunch of steam and evaporating coolant. I found enough in the intake to suspect its down in the combustion chambers stopping the ignition. I'm going to pull the glow plugs and cycle a bit just like the guys on here taught me last time. Most lickly my heads are fine i'm feeling positive THANKS EVERYONE FOR INPUT

·
Registered
206 Posts
I hope you are right... make sure your temp sensor is working well and you bleed all the air. I have been whipping my poor motor down the road for thousands of miles with a bad HG :rolleyes: (donor is fully rebuilt and waiting, will post about that later) but I have learned a ton about dealing with a bad HG through all of this so feel free to report back and pick my brain if you want a plan B.

Also once you get things together and fully bled, put a small container (like an odwalla bottle) catching the coolant from the expansion tank should there be an issue which will give you a smoking gun for bad cap/overpressurizing coolant.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
O ****. So After I drained out the glow plugs and and I began to crank i'm noticing diesel mist spraying from this gasket in multiple places. Is this the valve cover gasket?

Attachments

·
Administrator
15,962 Posts
O ****. So After I drained out the glow plugs and and I began to crank i'm noticing diesel mist spraying from this gasket in multiple places. Is this the valve cover gasket?
That is the valve cover gasket material. Are you sure the mist is coming from that location and not residual from the glow plug holes?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes the glow plugs are back in and im losing compression through the valve cover it seems? Is fuel supposed to have access into the valve cover?

·
Administrator
15,962 Posts
Yes the glow plugs are back in and im losing compression through the valve cover it seems? Is fuel supposed to have access into the valve cover?
It could be just a worn-out valve cover gasket. Pull the cover, inspect things and reseal

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Another one for the chalkboard guys. My head gasket is blown. I had it towed to diesel repair. They have condemned the head gasket after compression test. After sensing the loss of compression the hours I was messing with it, I believe them.

Options.. Whats the best reman source these days?, I'm hoping I can afford a reasonable long block assembly and have the shop swap it in without going bankrupt..

Salvage yard assemblies run about 1000 bucks but I don't feel good about that idea.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts