Diesel Place banner

How is your LLY?

1 - 20 of 401 Posts

·
Banned
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wanted to start a poll to see how many people actually HAVE an overheating LLY or HAD one that was bought back from GM. This isn't a poll of your fan running or tmp gauge moving a little but actual OVERHEAT stuck on the side of the road type of thing.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Non- 2

·
Registered
11,311 Posts
First of all....

Before we get going....

Lets try and keep this one under controll.

·
Banned
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unit453;1517572; said:
First of all....

Before we get going....

i agree, and i was sitting back thinking i may have just started something rough. So let me first start off by saying WHY. I did this because i have numbers in my head of how many actual overheaters we have on this board and lately i have been seeing more non overheaters that tow big. I don't want this to turn into a battle because i know it will get shut down. I just wanna know how many actual overheaters we have. I'm sure many others do too.

Everybody please keep the comments that will upset people to yourself so we can keep this going and get some solid numbers.

·
Commissioner Gordon
5,139 Posts
Unit453;1517572; said:
First of all....

Before we get going....

Won't happen:cool: :boxing: :D

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
I'll stick my 2c in, mine did OH, All it took was some steady driving and temps in the 70's, a small hill, pulling my fifth wheel, and not at max GVW either, it would OH at 20k or 24K, didn't matter. Fuel mileage sucked, fan was on more than it was off, GM bought it back when it OH for a tech in flat Wisconsin @ 65 MPH @ 70 OAT. I have a 05 2500 HD also, tows about 8k, never even gets hot. I have no answer, just some are good and some are no good. Mine was sold to a guy that just hauls, It will never give him grief, it could care less what it weighted, just how heavy you towed.

Remember, keep this civil or it will get closed.....

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
Your poll will only let me vote once and I currently own 3 overheating LLY's so add 2 more to that column.

Also for accuracy I think you will need to let this poll run thru the summer. Some of the known over heaters do not frequent the site often this time of year.;)

·
Registered
762 Posts
RickDLance;1517975; said:
Your poll will only let me vote once and I currently own 3 overheating LLY's so add 2 more to that column.

Also for accuracy I think you will need to let this poll run thru the summer. Some of the known over heaters do not frequent the site often this time of year.;)
3? Rick you must be the most unlucky person here

·
Registered
762 Posts
No real serious weight for me only about 10K every once in a while. Dad pulls 19K with his LLY. Hes never had a problem either

·
Registered
9,314 Posts
I had a bad 05 LLY overheater:mad: . I had it puke collant and limp pulling 12000 pounds up Saludia, it was not even 75 degrees out. Luckily GMC finally bought it back and gave me a great 06 LBZ:D .

I am real surprized at the pole results so far.:( I guess most people never work their truck or use it at or near it's max GCWR.

A very good friend has an 04.5 LLY and swore it would never overheat. He went so far as to bet me 100 dollars as long as he was under GCWR it would not overheat. I let him pull my 12,000 pound RV with me passanger. We started up Mount Eagle, it was 94 degrees out. My RV brought his truck to it's knees. Went into limp mode after coolant went over 250 and trans temp over 250:eek: . Yea it overheated, I did not let him pay up on the bet.

Originally Posted by RickDLance
Originally Posted by Bolyard
3? Rick you must be the most unlucky person here
I am not surpized, Rick uses his trucks loaded. I would not say he is unlucky, my expeariance is if you pull 10,000 or more pounds of RV up a 6% grade in 90 plus weather you will overheat.

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
RickDLance;1517975; said:
I added all 3 of my trucks to your poll.;)

·
Registered
577 Posts
Boost:

Good poll. A comment and a question:

1. For purposes of the poll, over heat should be specifically defined. What do you think about "display of DIC Engine Overheat" message?"

2. How should those of us that have never over heated, but have had to completely stop and allow ECTs to cool down to avoid an over heat vote?

:)

·
Registered
762 Posts
Steve I'd say if you had to come to a complete stop to keep it from overheating then it overheated.

How about we say "Overheated while towing 10K + in at least warm weather"

·
Registered
139 Posts
so far 2 times 1 time just engine temps and tranny temps high and dash warning. 2nd tranny only dash warning then dash dinging for 5 min on the side of the road stopped for about 15 min waiting for it to cool off in 27 degree temps outside but gm said it was normal:mad:

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
nope, never

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
I wonder how many more times this subject will get beat to death before everyone understands? Lets the games begin. I foresee another 40+ page thread of beating the same information over and over again and coming to the same end result as all the others. Hmmmm...that's the definition of insanity isnt it? For all of you that think your LLY doesnt overheat, go latch onto a 15K+ load and try to run 70mph on the highway and see what happens. Especially if its a tall air brick 5er.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Hmmm, only 2 choices? I can't vote because I haven't overheated anything in 25 years. Why? Because I pull over BEFORE it overheats. So I guess we'll never know if mine is "a bad one".

My LLY has never overheated. But with a 4k lb. load, going uphill in mild weather it went right of center (maybe 220 on the gauge which was probably more like 230). That's the pull-over temp for me, because at 250 I believe very bad things are starting to happen. It's just not suppose to run that hot. And what would happen when it's 115 and going up a big hill from the desert???

So I got the Rad Mod V2.

·
Banned
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
DangerousDuramax;1518167; said:
I wonder how many more times this subject will get beat to death before everyone understands? Lets the games begin. I foresee another 40+ page thread of beating the same information over and over again and coming to the same end result as all the others. Hmmmm...that's the definition of insanity isnt it? For all of you that think your LLY doesnt overheat, go latch onto a 15K+ load and try to run 70mph on the highway and see what happens. Especially if its a tall air brick 5er.

the purpose of this thread is not to beat it to death but to get numbers rather then he says she says.... We all understand this has been beat to death and the same postings get posted, i know. Thats not what this thread is about. It's about who's has done what. So far we're doing good, lets try to keep it open.

As for the question on the DIC... i'd say once it limps it's overheated. Mine flashed on the DIC and that week i went and got the 06 intake and it has not done it since.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
BOOST;1518180; said:
It's about who's has done what.
Thats been established several times over. The same end result keeps happening. People have a varied opinion on what is considered overheating. Some say 220, some say 230, and others even higher. Then there are those that swear they wont overheat but havent pulled over 12k. There has to be established criteria to meet or the poll will not reflect accurate data. But actually the point I was making is that there have been several individuals here who invested a lot of time and money to test the theories and proved that all LLY's will overheat when pushed. Some more than others. Just gonna get rehashed again.

So what's going to be the definition of "overheater" just so that everyone knows?

1 - 20 of 401 Posts