Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2000 Silverado LT 1500 had a very usefull overhead console. Does any one know if it can be obtained as a spare part and be readily fitted to a 2003 Silverado 2500HD? The 'economy version' fitted to the current trucks are next to being useless.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I'm not sure what you are refering too as the economy version. My 2002 3500 CC has a console that runs past the front seats. Has the blanking plate, then the map lights, then the remote control holder, then the sunglass holder, then some other holder that I have never figured out a use for. Is yours the same??

·
Registered
509 Posts
The other holder is for the small lil packets of kleenex - my wife told me that one. Looks about right.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Railbuff,

I was wondering the same thing. Problem is I haven't seen any trucks with the same console that my 2000 z71 had.

If they are avail I would love to have that back!

·
Registered
473 Posts
My 2003 Silverado LT has the economy version too I think. All I have it the front map lights and a little storage place. On my wifes 2003 Tahoe it has the rear heat in were the little storage place is and a built programable in garage door opener. Nothing like the overhead console in the 19991 Tahoe we had. I guess this is another way for GM to cut cost's, right along with the under hood light, and moldings on the bed!!!

·
Registered
653 Posts
My 01 console aft compartment is designed to hold CD jewel cases.

·
Registered
540 Posts
CntrlCalDmax said:

Ah, says the blind man, now I see!!! Funny though since my console has a CD holder in it too!

·
Registered
653 Posts
Mine did also, for a month or so. Now it holds my exhaust brake regulator controls.

·
Registered
211 Posts
FirstDiesel said:
CntrlCalDmax said:

Ah, says the blind man, now I see!!! Funny though since my console has a CD holder in it too!
That's funny. I thought it was made for a Smith & Wesson .38 cal Snub Nose Revolver. Centennial Air weight to be exact!

·
Registered
958 Posts
Does anyone know if THIS type of overhead console will fit in a regular cab, or is it too long?

Both of my reg. cab LS's came with the budget one with the front pocket and map lights.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Anything can be made to fit......just take it to an upholstery shop if you are not able to make it work yourself. They usually do 100's of these installs. No biggie! Get one you like and have at it.

Good luck

·
Registered
939 Posts
I thought about replacing the budget console with the full length console that was in my 01, but I keep thinking about putting in a sun roof...to many decisions!! hehehehe

Bob

·
Registered
958 Posts
I know that it will fit, providing that the interior headliner / roof of the regular cab is long enough to accomodate it. That's the only thing that might stop it. Has anyone done it?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yes i put one in mine 01 reg cab. had to remove the original short one, remove the light towards the back of the cab. the front mounts in the original holes but the back i had to drill 2 holes to hold the back up. i put the screws in the very back compt., and used sheet metal screws to hold it up. i also relocated the original rear light to fit behind the longer console. just cut a hole the size of the original one and mount it. it works great and looks original. bought the longer console on ebay.

·
Bac To The Future
23,029 Posts
Camstyn,

I've heard that the all the roofs of the 99-04's have the holes stamped in them for the "hooks" on the rear of the "long" console to slip into. You may want to check under the headliner in that area to see if this is the case. If that's true, you just have to cut the access holes into your headliner (yikes!!!---start small) to mount the rear. The front screw hole of the long one does still line up with the mount for the short one too. If you have a buddy with a truck with the long console, maybe he'd let you take his down to see what I mean.
I know I saw another post about this somewhere..maybe one of the early, early ones. I don't know about using screws to mount the rear...if you do be really really careful...otherwise you'll go right through the roof (both literally and figuratively)!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts