Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the right time for an engine overhaulin' before damaging the engine ?

Mine is treated like a brand new cadillac:
*Engine oil (best grade) and oil filter change at every 3.300 miles.
*No pulling at all.
*highway speed average 75 miles on cruise control.
*average time for oil change is 2 months.

looking forward to an answer.

Luiz.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Fix it when it's broken, drive it when it's not.

·
Banned
2,194 Posts
when you have almost no oil pressure and are adding ALOT of oil between changes. makes me wonder how many 6.5's actually have a peaceful death and dont die of things like broken cranks and cracked blocks, i love these motors so im not bashing i know theres just as many good ones out there. my orignal motor died of a broken glow plug.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Take this from my experience... I like you were questioning my 1994 Yukon's dependability. It was getting close to 80K and I said I have to get rid of it before it starts to cost me money. I bought a 1999 Sierra and traded it in. The salesman's brother bought it and still has it, 179K and it still runs perfect. 350 gas engine.. so what I'm saying is if you take care of it, it will increase you chances of it going a long time.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
You're wasting your money at the interval of 3300 miles.IMO Get a $ 20.00 oil test by BLACKSTONE LABS to put your mind at ease about the interval. Your oil changes should be done by time ,not mileage . What I don't see is any mention of cetane booster & fuel conditioner additi ves. Also why did it need an injection pump? PMD/FSD failure? Mis diagnosis? Truck in sig has 444K,pulled trailers every working day & the change interval was 6000mi.Always synthetic AMSOIL,K&N air filter. Not one failure of any internally lubricated engine componet. Has not had any oil added in the last 3K of daily unladen driving in heavy traffic. Original IP & Injectors,waterpump . One PMD,OPS,Lift pump replacement. I would suggest if you want to really protect the engine add a RH block heater & run the block heater/s for 1 to 3 hours before start up.My first 6.2 was treated to that procedure. Operators, Cold starts & number of cycles are the enemy here.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
It's gonna blow up if you keep treating it like that, get out there and pull something, run the dog out of it.:joke:

Just kidding.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts