Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, please don't flame, I did search before posting.

I recently changed my tranny fluid to transynd. I asked service dept at local Alli dealer when I picked up fluid and filter how much will drain out w/o removing pan. "10.6 qts" he said without hesitation.

Removed drain plug and external filter and let 'er rip. I had no way to accurately measure fluid removed, but I added 8qt to start with b/c what did drain out didn't look like 10 qts. Drove the truck about 10 miles and checked fluid. It looked like I'm about 1/4" or so above the HOT/full mark.

Truck runs/shifts better than I remember, but I'm still concerned.

Question is: How much should drain from a stock alli with stock pan by just removing the drain plug and external filter? And, if I'm overfilled 1/2 or a full quart or so, can't I just pop the drain plug back off and do a measured drain-off? :confused:

I haven't towed yet, and it's fairly cold here, so the tranny temp hasn't gotten above 130-140 since I changed the fluid. (Driven about 100-150 miles total.)

·
Registered
382 Posts
Just draining the pan and filter should be about 7 qts, you could pull the plug for a split second to let a little out.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dirtyedge

Thanks! Should I be concerned about being over 1 qt?

·
Registered
843 Posts
i would just drain a little so the level is within the "hot" fill mark. you may get some fluid coming out of the overflow vent on top of the tranny if you don't

·
Registered
936 Posts
Yes, you can drain a little out just take the plug out part way out. I had to do it to mine when I over filled it. If not it will puke fluid all over the place when you get it hot enough. Mine never did it until summer, and then I had a hell of a mess to clean up. I beleive it also introduces alot of air to the system which is not good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts