Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the dealer to see if he could update my TCM to enable me to install the ODLO switch. Got a price for $240 for labor (included installing the switch) and $210 for parts (that is one expensive momentary switch).

If I want just the software update it would be $96.

This seem reasonable to anyone? I think I'm going to find a dealer that will be more accomodating.

·
Registered
411 Posts
LT,

I had the dealer do it under warranty a few years ago. I was going to do it myself if I couldn't get it covered under warranty. I think it was about an hour to do the job. If your using EFI I could send you my 01, OS that it's flashed to. I think it's a fairly easy install. I think most of the wires go to the TCM. I might have install instructions, not sure. PM me if you need and I'll look into it.

The dealer didn't tell you that the Service Dept's lunch would be on you that day of the install.:D did they!:mad:

Terry

·
Registered
557 Posts
You could always do the install yourself. Pretty straighforward and easy. Kennedy's website has detailed instructions under the Tips area.

You would still have to get the updated TCM programming, though.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Where are you located? Perhaps we can find someone closer with a tech 2 that can help you. $96 to flash the TCM is highway robbery. I wouldn't pay that to have the pin installed and the updated done.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am in Sacramento. I see the instructions on Kennedy's site. Pretty straightforward and great information.

I am not using EFI Live yet so that reflash is not an option right now. (is the TCM flashing even available yet?)

Thought those prices were too high.

I am thinking that any momentary switch would work as well but there are different types - I wan't to make sure which type to get.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
There are quite a few tech 2's in your area. Hopefully someone will offer to help. How about a "looking for a tech 2 in Sacramento" post?

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So a Tech 2 will have the needed SW and be able to flash the TCM with the correct configuration?

·
Registered
411 Posts
When the dealer installed the O/D lock out kit the ECM/TCM was already flashed. You might luck out if you have the most current update in the OS. 15097100 or 15188873. The TCM calibration you need is 15175854.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
You will need a tech-2 AND TIS-2000 to do the update. A tech-2 alone will not do it. The charge to perform it is a bit high. Hour labor at the most and unless they charge 96.00 per hour....

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yup that is what they charge around here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts