Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped off at the local speed shop yesterday to see what was going on, I havent been in there awhile. Was looking at diesel stuff their carrying now, could not beleive the prices on some of it. They wanted $940 for an Edge juice/attitude & like $450 for a hypertech. I was just shocked at the prices. I inquired about gauges, Autometer cobalts-60psi boost, 2000 deg egt& 30 psi fuel pressure- rough price $600-$700. I don't see how they stay in business.:rant:

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
yeah thats a little high, get that stuff off of the internet you can get a much better deal

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
lol...yeah theres a "shop" down the street from me. They charge like 2 times what other places charge. Wanted 275 to tint my windows, and like 1200 for a magnaflow exhaust. YEA RIGHT

·
Registered
795 Posts
There is a local speedshop that is the same. Everything is about 1-1/2 times the price as the vendors on here.

·
Registered
90 Posts
These places are for those who can't turn the wrenches, or they are too busy to learn about their options, search the Web, etc.
A fellow around the corner from me has a H2 all tricked out, but does not know what engine is in that thing............... His idea of a tool set is the kind you get at the drug store.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Up here, you're better off using a shop for some stuff. We would have been paying out the a$$ for shipping on the exhaust, while they got a deal on shipping. There also are a few vendors on here that do not give a shipping total for us at the time of order. They have to calculate it and "let you know". This means I most likely won't be buying from them.

Guess I'm just stupid though for wanting to save money on things. The shops here get better shipping prices, but I guess I should just eat it and order on-line?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Open a business for yourself, figure out about personal property tax, leases, etc and you will see why a brick and mortar business needs to charge more than someone oeprating out of his barn.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wasn't calling anybody stupid on here or saying that every speed shop is a rip off. If your local shop is cheaper than online, all power to ya. Not everybody is well off, average person has to shop around for stuff.

I'm self-employed, I know what it takes to keep things going.

·
Registered
473 Posts
The vender's here at the Diesel Place sure have a lot more reasonable prices, that some of these so called Speed Shops. When I get anything for my Duramax I do it through one of the vender's here, that way I know I am not getting ripped off.
:ro)

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
There are always two sides to every story and in this case they are both right. Every place I priced out my 4" exhaust system had a price match guarantee and free shipping. I install my version of the secondary fuel filter as a hobby job. I work out of my garage so the overhead is nil. The guy that owns the local diesel repair shop has a lot of overhead. He doesn't install filter kits and I don't install exhaust systems and tires. It all works out well for both of us. I always looked here first for what I wanted. Later! Frank

·
Registered
119 Posts
The local guy I have dealt with includes installing the item in his price. So for the non-mechanical, it works out to be a good deal. For those of us that have and use our tools, it seems high.

Just my .02

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
moss022 said:
:funnypost ):h
NOT FUNNY: but very true. I use to hunt with 8 guys. Discussed with a professional guide and he laughed and said there was at least ONE d*&khead. Boy, was he right -:t . Ever since I have noticed the in a large group of humans there are a cadre of d*&kheads. I am sure you have seen a few on this website ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts